My son is 4 months old and still will not lift his head up off the floor or reach out for objects. He was 5 weeks early but he shows no effort to do these developmental steps. Should I be concerned? He would rather suck on the blanket that I laid out or just plain cries.

CharliesMom1118

Asked by CharliesMom1118 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• since he was a premie he is going to be alittle behind but dont worry about it. he will do these things when he is ready and it doesnt mean anything. every baby develops differently.
    Anonymous

• When my niece was 4 weeks early, we were told to watch for 'benchmarks' for babies four weeks younger than her. So when she was physically 5 months, her mom was to look for 'benchmarks' for a 4 month old. But as the first post said, every baby is different and develops at their own pace and sometimes it may seem like a drastic difference between babies of the same age.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• At 4 months I wouldn't worry. At my DDs 4 month check up the doc was laughing b/c she would try sooo hard to hold her head up but he just said it was too big:) since then she is fine in her own time.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• The not reaching for things is probably fine for his adjusted age (late 2 or early 3 month old).
    But most 1 month olds can lift their heads briefy so that is a concern. Since this puts him 2 months behind on a major milestone, I'd contact his doctor. That's the general rule of thumb I've seen - let a child develop at his own pace unless he falls a couple months behind most of his age mates.
    He may be fine and is just taking his time. But the sooner problems are spotted, the better the outcome. Let your doctor see him and tell you he's fine.
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-1-to-6-months_1496585.bc
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2009