How can I grow my business?

Hi Moms,
I sell MaryKay and I am having the worse time getting it going. I'm not someone who is pushy and its hard for me to get people to buy my product. I love the products and if someone is interested I have no problem talking to them about it but its the "selling" part that is so hard for me.

As part of being a consultant we can recruit other ladies to be consultants and I'm even worse at that. Its a great company and I LOVE IT but I am out of idea's. We live in a rural area and its not real feasible for me to market in my area.

Please share any idea's. Do you have a business you do from home? How are you making it work? Can anyone give me ideas?

mrsrevjohnson

Asked by mrsrevjohnson at 2:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• Send out letters to businesses offering a discount. One thing that has been really popular with my business and a Mark Kay consultant here is a car dealership does a ladies day every Thursday and they have women in direct sales come out and set up. I have gotten lots of shows and sales that way, any type of vendor fair is another fabulous way. My Cafe Mom profile I have gotten lots of ladies that way also, GOOD LUCK!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I used to sell MaryKay but now I only use it for when I run low on my own stuff. Me, my mom, and sometimes a friend of mine will get together our order and it saves us $... It's really tough... I was that way too not wanting to be pushy and awful when it came to sales (and i used to be a telemarketer *cringe* with top sales in my job every week) I think it has a lot to do with the lady who was our director she would call and lecture me for not having enough inventory, not booking enough parties etc etc so i finally changed my number and neglected to give it to her...
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 2:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Why don't you put together your own website. Check this out:   How to Build a Business Website.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I have a website. Its www.marykay.com/mrsrevjohnson
    I'm just not sure how much that helps!
    Thank you for your idea.
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 2:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I try to find vendor shows, crafts fairs, and stuff like that. however you usually have to pay for a table it's a GREAT way to get your info out and also gather customer info by offering a raffle (free make over). I hope this helps.
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 4:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• If it's allowed you should create your own website. You should also think about advertising on CraigsList.com If you have a dollar bin type page on your site or a clearance page, you should give that link to people. Start like this "We have some wonderful sales going on right now, this is what you should check out - wonderful products at half the price!" I know you don't make as much, but if you make 100 sales on clearance items and make 10% of each sale that's better than making no sales at all. I use to sell perfume on eBay. eBay has 1000's of perfume sellers, so I sold gift sets. While everyone else was trying to sell the highend stuff, I was selling the highend stuff in the gift set. Since I was getting discounts up to 50%, I just passed that on to my customers. I wasn't making tons each sale, but I was making sale after sale.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I have alot ideas posted in my group about bookings for direct sales. Come check us out at Inspiring Mom's to Work at Home. Good luck with your biz!!
    ~Shay
    jewelrylady98

Answer by jewelrylady98 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• try having yuor own party,using craigslist,or having a booth at bridal fairs
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 5:17 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I am a member of maverick money makers. It teaches you how to make and promote websites that sell your products. if you have time, check it out at Maverick Money Makers

helpmehelpu12

Answer by helpmehelpu12 at 12:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Ladies, thank you so much for the great answers. I think some are really going to be good idea's.
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 9:12 AM on Mar. 18, 2009