Have you ever taken your IUD/IUC out yourself?

I just took mine Mirean out about 2-3 weeks ago because I was tired of feeling like shit on it and having awful cramping. Anyone else?

MisanthropKitty

Asked by MisanthropKitty at 2:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Health

• Hubby took mine out when we wanted to TTC cause it was gonna take 3 weeks for me to get into the doc. He just tugged a little on the strings. I got pregnant that cycle!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• OMG! No way would I ever take it out myself. That can be very very dangerous. When it's time for mine to come out, in 4 years, I will have doctor do it.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• i dont suggest taking it out yourself or letting anyone but your dr take it out.
    that can be dangerous.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• yeah and i got a kidney infection! lol.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Wait, I want mine out...how did you get it out? I so want to know. I don't have health insurance anymore and have been tempted to try it b/c I have had so many side effects.
    Anonymous

• I have the mirena in for a year now and the cramps and side effects were horrible the first 6 months and it got better and now my body is back to normal. But I never could feel the strings and too be honest I'm so scared that it has came out on its own.

The reason they don't want you to take out yourself is because you can do so much damage to your cervix on the way out or the fact it might become lodged elsewhere in the uterus and well, if you want children later on, that would make it harder and not to mention you could bleed out and die. So, I don't recommend it.
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 4:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• well anonymous heres how i did it... i waited til a few days before my period was supposed to start that way my cervix was a bit open and soft. then i sat on the toilet and reached up and felt for the strings. i held them in my fingers and gently pulled down. i could feel the iuc starting to move and the strings getting longer so i regrabbed them higher and pulled again and it came straight out. i started my period about two days later and i have felt soo much better since taking it out... but let me put this out there. i am not a doctor and so you are responsible for yourself if you pull it out on your own. heres a pic of mine once it was out http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/MisanthropeKitty/100_4256.jpg
    MisanthropKitty

Answer by MisanthropKitty at 4:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• lol OP-I woudlnt' try to sue you if somethign happened...your disclaimer is funny.I never know when I'm going to get my period with it. I wonder if I can try while I'm on mine

Alicia-I'm not sure how you could get a bladder infection since those are 2 seperate holes.
    Anonymous

• well you never know anymore LOL it would definitely still work while you are on your period... its a lot easier with the cervix open a bit than none at all!
    MisanthropKitty

Answer by MisanthropKitty at 6:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• OP-thank you soooo much!!!! I took it out tonight. I am so glad you posted this today! I tugged and out it slid, so easy. It's sad it cost like $900 for it and that it worked like shit. Now I have to figure out what kind of BC to get on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Mar. 17, 2009