I have a 19month old son, Is it a bad idea to put him down for his nap right after his lunch?? I know it's bad for adults to do this but I don't want him to have a weight problem or should he run around a little after his lunch? thanks : )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• To my knowledge, it is not a bad idea for children or adults to nap right after lunch, in fact, I would like it is a good idea. Once your finish eating your body needs all the oxygen it can get so your body can digest your food properly. It is the same concept of why you should wait to swim after you eat. If you are concerned about a weight problem then take your son outside to play after nap. He will be fully rested and ready to play. Have fun!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• i know what you are talking about. No sleeping after a big meal. It's hooey. Calories are calories no matter when you eat them or when you sleep after consuming them. As long as you aren't feeing him hot dogs and twinkies all the time you shouldn't have to worry about a weight problem. It's the food you eat and the quantity of it that determines weight problems not when you take a nap.
    rockstarmom2b

Answer by rockstarmom2b at 2:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• The "don't go to sleep right after a big meal" is mostly for bedtime, not naptime, assuming it makes a difference at all.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• At day care they go to sleep right after lunch. I do the same at home. Never thought about it. lunch isn't a huge meal for dd anyhow and it's only a 2 hour nap.
    Anonymous