How to make this summer cheap and fun for our kids?

Any ideas cafemoms?

nidiya

Asked by nidiya at 2:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• if there's a community pool and your kids have access to a ride or are within walking distance, get them summer passes. my siblings and I loved that, even though we have our own pool in our back yard.

Camping is always fun and cheap, you can fish, swim, boat, sea doo... if you haven't got those toys, they're generally reasonable enough to rent for a day...

If you're planning to do weekends with the kids, if there's a theme park handy, it's cheaper usually to buy a summer pass than it is to buy 2 or 3 tickets, plus you can go more often.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• We have a zoo membership. By the time we've gone 3 times, it's paid for and then we still can go and it's "free"! The membership also allows discounts for other places around our area.

We'll also be using our Y membership for classes for them. My oldest will be playing baseball, so we're thinking picnic every Saturday after his practice!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Buy a slip n slide or one of those big inflatible pools. Let them camp out in the backyard. Make up a scavenger hunt and let them run around the neighborhood trying to find stuff. I don't know if parks still have the free lunchs but when I was a kid everyday at about noon all the big local parks would get delievered free boxed lunches. Just like a sandwich, fruit, cookie and juice/milk. Wasn't the best but it was fun...and free!!
    Anonymous