How to make this summer cheap and fun for our kids?

Any Ideas?

nidiya

Asked by nidiya at 2:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Run through the sprinklers
    Ride bikes
    Roller blade
    Play hopscotch, twister, jacks, marbles, card games, hide-and-seek
    Make crafts
    Go to the library
    Take a hike
    Play at the school playground
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Parks, Pools, Arts and crafts ideas, mini scavengar hunts with a few other kids, I bought a couple of those sprinkler toys 1 that also shoots out bubbles,

If you go to babycenter.com (which I just went and one of todays top topics is 'How to make your kids day" with lists of activities) but at the bottom there is the babycenter shortcuts and click your childs age and it will send you to pages of fun activities to do
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 2:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Take advantage of the cheap/discounted summer/season passes. I just bought a full year membership to a local zoo about 30 minutes away. We also have season passes for putt-putt and we are about to buy season passes to Six Flags. For really cheap/free places, you can go to the park and have picnics. Also, most library's sponsor kid's book clubs in the summer. Also, check out free days at some of your local kid's places. An area store will sponsor this for free entrance on a certain day. Have a great summer.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Camping is always a cheap answer for our family. We went a bunch of times last year and it's always relatively inexpensive, plus you're getting out of the house. Depending on where you go, there are different free activiites that may be going on, like events for the kids, bands performing, competitions, or theme weeks (like birthday week, or costume week). Also, a lot of town Rec. departments have summer day camps open that are inexpensive and provide all day activities for kids at various ages. OH, and one last thing, haha. There are these two books that I loved for kids I had nannied before I had my daughter: The Daring Book for Girls (it's blue) and The Dangerous Book for Boys. They have TONS of different activities and stories you can do with your kids. Probably best for kids 8 and older, but there's stuff like building forts, how to play basketball and soccer (like, official rules and stuff), morse code, and cool stuff!
    Lizzie_Angus

Answer by Lizzie_Angus at 2:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• the library and Barnes and Noble both offer reading clubs. Go to the local museums, zoo, have picinics, go for walks. You can also check with the local movie theater and see if they offer discounted summer movies. The Cinemark Theater in my city offer a kids movie once a week for under $5 a person. I actually think it is $1 or $2. Do arts and crafts, play in a sprinkler or "wash" the car. My son and neighbors 3 girls love "washing" my car. The have a lot of fun playing in the water and my car gets washed for free!! Well, I do offer up popsicles or watermelon chunks.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• you can take them to parks and take them fishing (with nets) and stuff but always put the fish back in the water(only do this with young children like up to the age of 6 or 7)
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009