who spanks ?

my daughter is 7 years old and i spank. last week i got a call from my daughters school they informed me that my daughter was misbehaving and not following the directions that were given to her . i was imbarrased.... when i picked my daughter up i asked her what happen she lied and told me that the teacher said that no one had to listen to her . when my husband got home we talked about it she got a spanking and then we wrote a note to the teacher apoligizing and told her it wont happen again do you think tha i hadled this situation correctly ?

mom2b23869

Asked by mom2b23869 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, most definately. Way to go!
    Anonymous

• i dont spank i pat on the hand. i think you did a good thing, you didnt spank out of anger you spanked when you were calm already
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Personally, I believe in spanking but only in certain situations. A parent should never spank while they are angry. But in this situation, I wouldn't have gone with a spanking. I would have gone with taking things away or another negative consequence but not spanking.  You are the parent though and know your child better than anyone.  I just think spanking is a serious thing that isn't necessary in most situations.

DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Sounds fine with me.
    mama.love.

Answer by mama.love. at 2:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I belive in spanking. My son is way to young for it. But I think you did a good job. Way to go mom!
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I spank for things that would harm him. If he tries to stick keys in an outlet he gets popped on the leg with a firm NO. Other then that we do time out and talks or he gets things taken from him (yes even at 2) Like this morning he threw sausage all over the floor and i made him pick up every piece and then wipe up the floor, at first he told me no so he lost the privelage to watch Handy Manny. He listened when the tv was off... Now this is just our way of doing it and spanking works with some kids (our son could care less if we pop him) The only thing that irritates me about spanking is when parents are spanking their kids while yelling at them "WE DONT HIT" I think it sends a mixed message and makes me want to scream. In your case I think you handled it very well. Of course I would've prob spanked her for lying and not the misbehavior.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 2:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I only spanked as a last resort. I used time out, talking and taking things away. Spanking didn't usually work with my son so I stopped using it. You did right by waiting until you weren't angry though. You should never spank in anger. You also did a great thing by making her write an apology to the teacher. That is a much appreciated thing and not many parents make their children apologize.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• If it's an emergency issue or really bad, I spank. For crap in class or lying, I would do something else, but whatever works for you.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Sounds like a good approach. I see nothing wrong with spanking.
    Anonymous

• We firmly believe in spanking. we do NOT ise belts...just our hands. I think you did handle it well. When my son does something wrong..and i tell him his daddy will talk to him when he gets home...he gets scared.. he knows he will get spanked.
    oddballj

Answer by oddballj at 3:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2009