Did you ever lose your child?

I was preparing to drive my daughter to school this morning. Before we left, I ran to the restroom. While I went to the bathroom, my 2 year old son got out of the house with help from his sister. She opened the door for him because she thought it would be a good idea to wait for me outside, which we have never allowed before. I looked everywhere and could not find him. A neighbor drove around our neighborhood 2 x's and did not see him. So I panicked and called the police. They found him right away. They made me feel terrible and acted like this never happens to anyone else. Then to top it off, my husband, who I think was just scared, yelled at me and called me a "sucky parent." He said it never would of happened on his watch. I feel awful. I never let my kids play outside alone ever. I always keep a close eye on them at home too. Please tell me this happened to someone else too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Don't beat yourself up! I did also when my son was 3. We were at the mall and I told him we were getting ready to leave the store we were in and turned to pick up my 1 1/2 yo daughter and when I straightened up he was gone!!! I tried so hard not to panic and my friend who was with us at the time and I both started going around the food court (right next to the store). Someone stopped her and asked if we'd lost someone and she started telling him what he was wearing and what not. They had found him at the front door of the mall crying! And had taken him back to the security area and given him a toy to calm him down.
    I felt like the worst parent in the world. but it only takes a second! And on the plus side, it scared him so for years, whenever we went somewhere he kept his butt right beside me! He'll be 9 in July and can still tell you how scared he was when he got lost!
    It really doesn't make you a bad parent! Remember that
    cheez1e

Answer by cheez1e at 2:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Nope sorry never lost my children. I guess it could happen, though
    Anonymous

• i got lost at a flea market when i was 5
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Don't beat yourself up, momma. It could happen to anyone. Children are very quick and even in the slightest glance they could be gone. The closest I have come to losing sight of my child was on a playground. He was about 2 years old and he wanted to slide down the slide by himself. I watched as he climbed up ramp and I went to go to the bottom of the slide. The slide was a covered slide so I couldn't see him. I called for him to come down and he didn't. I started to panic but I then noticed he had left to go to the other side once I had walked to the bottom of the slide. Even for that split second I didn't know where he was at, it scared me to death.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• No but it's only been 8 months. I forgot he was in the car once though. My husband and I were going somehwere and we had to stop at the bank and he had to use the bathroom so when we parked I told him I'd run inside the bank while he went next door so I started getting out and he was like "wait!! who's gonna take the baby?" I felt soo bad!! I totally forgot about him :-( Luckily my husband was there before I actually did leave him.
    Anonymous

• I love flea markets!
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 2:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• ...um no that has never happened
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 2:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• It happens to the best of us. When my son was 2 i was in the restroom puking( morning sickness) and he let himself out the back door. I came out and freaked. I had the whole apartment complex looking and after about 8 minutes w found him in the complex park singing with one of the neighborhood kids. I was so ashamed. do not be to hard on yourself, it happens.

brees3

Answer by brees3 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Well just this past friday night I posted a similar question. We hired a sitter for our sons 2 and 3 so we could take our oldest three out to celebrate our oldest sons bday. The sitter fell asleep on them and they got outside and were running around half naked up and down a busy street. The neighbors saw called 911 and took my kids back to our house. I know it was not my fault but I still felt like a shity parent...I am lucky they are alive! I don't think anyone has a right to judge anyone else...I would just put locks at the tops of your doors to avoid this in the future and thank God your kids are ok...that is what matters most.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Mines still too young to walk away yet but I got lost in an airport once when I was 5. My dad and I were at the airport and I was playing in the childrens area and he told me he was going to use the restroom (which was actually within the childrens area) and to STAY PUT. So I did...for like 2 minutes. I went looking for him and I guess I looked lost cuz this lady came up and asked where my parents were and I said I didn't know so she took me to the information booth where they paged my dad who was scared out of his mind. So no, you're not the only one who isn't able to keep their eyes on their kid every second of the day!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2009