Vicks Baby Vapor Rub

Okay.....as I was applying this to our son's chest last night, my husband got all upset and said he had just read an article that you shouldn't use it on toddlers. (Our son is 2 years old.)
What's the real deal???

TiffaniR

Asked by TiffaniR at 2:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i use it on our son anytime he has a stuffy nose... he puts it on his belly and i put it on his feet with socks to cover... I've never heard anything negative about the baby vicks
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 2:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• its petroleum based, we use a vapor rub that is olive oil based. you can make your own by using unscented vitamin e cream and adding whatever sort of essential oil you like. I use lavender and peppermint.
    We don't use anything petroleum based as body care products, the petroleum absorbs into the skin and into the blood stream. yuck
    rockstarmom2b

Answer by rockstarmom2b at 2:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Its okay to use. What was on the news recently is some dumb Mom's put it in their kids NOSES, and the kids died (I believe they died at least)...

Its definitely okay for the chest and back people have been using it for over 50 years, just not the nose...But I don't know who could be that stupid anyways.
    AlyssaH87

Answer by AlyssaH87 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• its fine with my boys ,it works great. maybe hes allergic to something in it.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Yes, there have been some studies released recently because people were using the regular brand of vicks on their baby under the age of two (duh, I was doing it too...) However, I only use it on my sons feet...and I have since gone out to buy the Baby Rub instead.

Like someone else mentioned, if used properly and with the correct age limits, you will be ok.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I've used it on my daughter since she was an infant, the doctor told me too because of her bronchitis and it was the only thing that calmed her down. Just never the adult version, I don't even use the adult version on myself cause it gives me rashes hehe
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 4:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009