My son does not like rice cereal, what other first food would be good for him?

doctor says not to mix rice cereal with juice. Could I try a different type of food?

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh yeah, rice cereal isn't necessary. My first daughter thought it was great, my second hated it! Carrots were popular early on with my girls. Yellow veggies (carrots, sweet potatoes, squash) and white fruit (pears and apples) are the least likely to cause allergies. Some people just mash up a banana or avocado, too. I think baby oatmeal is ok, too, if you really want a grain.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Yeah I don't think it's necessary either. It's more of a safe food to get your baby accustomed to eating (chewing). I mixed the rice cereal with some formula powder for my son because he didn't really like it either.

My daycare provider mixed it with brown sugar & cinnamon (I didn't know she did that until later on) But it worked very well for her. (I don't recommend sugar for newborn/infants though)

Anyways, what about just step 1 baby foods if mixing with formula doesn't work?
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Avocado is a great first food.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Just start trying the 1st foods, one by one. I started with putting the plain rice cereal in his bottles. He didn't care too much for it when fed as cereal,so I tried the rice cereal with mixed fruit and he loves it. Try introducing veggies before the fruits if you start the 1st foods.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I fed my son mashed potatoes because they're gentle on the tummy. Also, he loved sweet potatoes and carrots.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• u could try mixing the rice cereal with mashed fruits or veggies instead of the juice- and dont use water- use formula or breast milk cause the water makes it taste worse to them lol at least the milk is something theyre familiar with- u could try applesauce
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My daughter didn't like the rice cereal either i started giving her peas, Carrots, Sweet potatoes, and she absolutely loved them. She is now 8 months old and eating what ever i give her.
    hannahsmommy80

Answer by hannahsmommy80 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2009