How can I get my daughter to use the potty on her own?

My daughter is 2 years old, she will be 3 in June. I know she is ready to potty train, she takes her diaper off all the time even when she just doesn't want to wear it. I can't get her to use the potty with out having to ask her every 5 mins if she has to go. We have been doing this for months. Im not sure if Im doing something wrong, or if I should try another approach? I want her to use the potty without me having to remind her.

savannahsmom623

Asked by savannahsmom623 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when shes ready she will do it on her own. keep on doin what your doin.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• The number one rule of potty training that I've seen is... do NOT ask.
    Simply take her every hour. Once she's got the hang of it and only goes while on the potty (even if it's not every time, just that she doesn't wet her pants anymore), switch her to every 1.5 hours and the every 2 hours.
    After that, keep track in your head of when she last went. Watch her behavior. If it's been more than 2 hours or she is starting to "dance", simply tell her "It's time to go potty." Do not ask "Do you have to go". She will quickly learn to say "no" since saying "yes" means she has to voluntarily stop playing with her toys.
    When can you stop keeping track? When you notice you haven't had to tell her to go for days and she's been dry the whole time.
    Remember that "too busy playing" accidents are common into early grade school. Don't ask. Tell.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2009