A Question for Teen moms :-)

When everyone uses the phrase "Im proud to be a teen mom" or something along those lines what does that mean to you? Does it mean your proud that you are younger but can still take care of your child with the best of them? or does it mean your proud you had your child at 14, 15, 16?
I ask b/c I always took it as I am proud I can take care of my child with the best of them... but sense reading some posts around CM i'm starting to think people are just proud of how young they had their babies...
I'm in no way bashing sense I had my boys at 20 and 21 I was just wondering...

Liluckyducky7

Asked by Liluckyducky7 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• i would say proud of being so young and still taking care of them... i know im not proud i had my son at 20 but im proud that i have my son, take care of him and go to school
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Hopefully they say they are proud b/c they are taking care of them. I had mine @ 17, 18, 21 & 22. Honestly when the kids started school SO many ppl judged me b/c I was so young, I stayed home w/ my kids and most ppl assumed I was a single mom on welfare. Which I wasn't, Not bashing anyone who is, but I was just classified w/ that stereo type. It annoyed me more than anything. Soon tho they saw who I really was.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 4:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I'm going with being proud that I kick the stereotypes about young moms in the ass. I'm a great mom and I had my child right before my 21st bday. Young moms are often presumed to be stupid and naive when it comes to raising children, we pawn our babies off on our families, etc I'm proud of myself and other young moms who brush that nonsense off and give our children our all, not because we have to make an extra effort because we're young, but because we're mature and we trust ourselves.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 4:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Wanted to add:

I know the OP addressed TEEN moms specifically, but I answered just because we all generally get lumped into the same category.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 4:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Interesting post. I'd be curious to see the response of some real 'teen moms'. (Other than Monkey, no offense.) My half sister is 17 and everyone (her side of the family) is THRILLED about the pregnancy. LOL, I was the villian b/c I talked to her about direct adoption. :)
    BreScott

Answer by BreScott at 4:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I was a teen mom (at 16) and am SOOOOO PROUD to have been a teen mom because I was so successful at it.

What is the alternative for teen moms? That they be ashamed. They should not feel ashamed.

It's okay for them to be proud for whatever reason they are. (I think)

:)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I'm proud that at 17 I had enough maturity and common sense to take care of my child.
    I'm 28 now, and he's the next best thing to perfect! I raised him right! YAY!!
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 4:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I "adopted" my step son when I was 17. His mother wasn't around and he was 1 at the time. I think I rose to the occasion well if I do say so myself. I catch a lot of heat from other parents. My son is now 7, my daughter is 13 months. I am 23, but look about 18. The school and doctors and things take me very seriously, however, other parents blow me off. I am proud that at 17 and 20(thats how old my husband was when my son was born) we were able to raise a very well behaved, smart, emotionally mature, responsible child.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I've seen alot of successful teen moms but I've also seen the failures. Girls having baby after baby yet taking no care of them. The teenagers who are successful parents are sadly a minority. When I counseled young girls who were moms in the Teen Mom Program maby of the girls were living in poverty with no hope of escape. There was one young man who had gotten over 30 girls pregnant and wasn't giving any of them support. Many of these young women had more then 1 baby. I had a baby at 17. I was in no shape to take care of her. I hadn't graduated high school and because I loved my daughter I tried for 2 years to take care of her. Working at what jobs I could, spent some time on welfare but it wasn't enough to really live on so after talking with a case worker I gave my daughter up. It was hard but it was the best thing for her. We need better resources for young men and women who become parents at such a young age
    Anonymous

• I was a teen mom. I had my 1st dd at 17; graduated high school and worked to provide a good life for her. Her sperm donor was 18 and is not in her life. I'm 27 and married now with 2 more kids and my dh has "adopted" my dd. She has grown up to be a very smart and loved child. And I am very proud of myself for being mature enough to take on the responsibilities that comes with making a baby....even though I had to do it alone!

Charmedmommy82

Answer by Charmedmommy82 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009