What do you think about Baby Einstein DVD's ?

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter hated them and I thought they were pretty lame. The ones meant for very young babies have no good content. The ones for older babies and toddlers are scattered.

As a young baby, she would watch about 5 mintues and then start screaming and thrashing until I turned it off. I got the hint pretty quick!
    As a toddler, she would wander out of the room within minutes of starting one of the older ones (like Numbers Nursery).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I depise them... They are so stupid and uninteresting even to a baby. I'd put them in and my son would crawl away... Mind you this is the same kid who would watch a nascar race ith his daddy when he was only 5 months old..
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 4:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I would absolutly reccomend them.My son has high functioning autism and they have helped him to learn new words.Plus its about the only thing he sits still for.I think its the music he loves so much about them.
    ZMK

Answer by ZMK at 4:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• We like Baby Einstein. Its not a good arguement to criticicze the content because it focuses on what a BABY is interested it. Bold colors, color contrast, moving objects and shapes. So what if it looks stupid to an adult?
    I like that some of them say words in different languages and teach basics. There is nothing wrong with BE.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I think they're useless.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I like the music part of it but my 6 month old DD also loves to bang on the piano...its my hope that she will play like mommy one day:) That's what I like them for. And she loves them too.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• This is not to counter what the pp said about her son with autism, and I admit I don't know anything about that. But there have been studies that have shown that they don't help babies learn, and that in fact they can hinder them IF parents use them in place of reading and directly interacting. Not that you were planning on doing that, of course... But really babies don't need to be watching DVDs. We got some Baby Signing TIme dvds as a gift when our daughter was 11 months so we did let her watch one 20 minute episode every other day or so... I'm not sure if it helped or hurt. She's obsessed with books, though. I'd focus your efforts in that direction.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2009