My mother in law let my 6 week old baby suck on a sucker! Help! Now my husband and mother in law think I'm overreacting!

I need someone to tell me the MEDICAL reasons why my newborn shouldn't have that! My husband acted like he was going to give her a small drop of ice cream the other day (she's 8 weeks now). She's been being breastfed and bottle breastfed exclusively. I know this can mess that up but I'm wanting medical reasons, i already found the intestines aren't developed yet. I'm so MAD that they are treating me like I'm being overprotective. But more importantly I'm worried that if I'm not in the room with her when his mother is around she'll slip her something else because AND I QUOTE "that's what grandmothers are SUPPOSED TO DO" She acts like she knows better than me and I told him that if she EVER does something like that again i will go ballistic.

AmberTimmons84

Asked by AmberTimmons84 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I refuse to let my baby (8 months old now) out of sight, i even take her to the bathroom with me because of these stupid problems. SIL got upset when i said my 5 month old couldnt have french fries. Too much salt for one and shes just too young!
    I have to be VERY strict with my MIL. She tries to walk away with my baby which is a big "HELL NO!". Just be as stern as possible, even if it makes you as nervous as it makes me. Yell at her if you have to! This is YOUR child. She needs to listen to YOU. Easier said than done i know. My MIL violated me horribly using my newborn baby and i refuse to take anymore s***. Some MILs are the most awesome, amazing people.. i dont know how we end up with horrid ones. Good luck with everything! If you'd wish to share a few stories, vent alittle, go ahead and message me. It feels good getting the crap out of your system.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 7:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Ice cream has MILK in it,and a baby shouldnt have milk until they are ONE. And as for the sucker the baby doesnt need sugar!!! I would be very upset. And your husband should always be on your side!
    Anonymous

• Thats so ridiculous. I would be pissed off..as you are. You can look up research on giving babies sugar and how it effects childhood diabetes and obesity...also allergies because they can't handle anything other than your milk for many more months. I'm so sorry.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I have the VERY same problem with my MIL. Just the other day my daughter was trying to go to sleep in her carseat while we were visiting her.....and she kept dropping her passy.....his mother would take it out of her carseat....swish it around in her SWEET tea..with LEMONS in it....and then give it back to her and I could hear her say shhh don't tell mommy she would kill me. My problem is my husband thought it was wrong too, but doesn't want me to start anything....and he won't say anything either.....GAWD!!!! Good luck!
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• TNT8687- that's my husbands reaction exactly! He doesn't me to start anything but I did get him to talk to her. And that's exactly how his mother sounds "don't tell mommy" I've already decided if she does anything like that again I'll threaten her with NOT being able to see her ONLY grandchild unsupervised since I can't trust her alone with my daughter. It's funny because she always tells ME how HER mother-in-law didn't respect her parenting wishes so my motherinlaw decided to not allow my SO's grandmother to see him. You'd think she'd understand!
    AmberTimmons84

Answer by AmberTimmons84 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• The BIGGER problem here is that your DH is SIDING with your MIL. He is seeing what she did as no big deal. (and yes what she did was a very big NO-NO) Your DH needs to back YOU up not his Mommy. Bottom line, your MOMMY and YOU say what goes. I don't buy the "that's what grandmothers do" crap. I would suggest that until MIL can RESPECT your rules/wishes when it comes to your baby she gets ZERO alone time, for a very long time - and babysitting SHOULD BE out of the question. For whatever reason (most) grandparents think they know more than the new mother - don't let her bully you or push you around. I'd call your pedi to see if you should bring the baby in to be checked out.
    Fooph121780

Answer by Fooph121780 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• its made with an artificial flavors why would anyone give that to a baby?
    Anonymous

• That's what my mil says....that her husbands family didn't respect her. But in my case....she only wants anything to do with my daughter when other ppl are around....mostly her family. If no one else is around and it's just the three of us going to visit her....she wont even get her out of the carseat...and when Raeleigh (my DD) is just cooing and gawing like babies do....she stufs her passy in her mouth and tells her to hush....THAT RUNS ALL THRU ME!!!!!
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• TNT8687 sounds JUST like my sister and her problem with her daughter. They won't feed her daughter(6 months) the baby food, they want to give her chocolate pudding and ice cream instead. So she found a day care that would respect her wishes. I would not let my child around MIL if I were you. Ice cream does contain milk, which can wreak havoc on undeveloped digestive systems. There is a reason docs tell you to wait until a year for milk. Mention the correlation between sugar as a child and obesity as an adult and diabetes. You can get statistics on that online I am sure. Good luck.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You are overreacting. If she does it every time she has her then it's an issue. A drop of ice cream is not going to hurt her.
    Anonymous