Blithe Ovum

Does anyone know what this means? I had a m/c for this reason 2 yr ago, at the time I really didn't care to know anything about it, bc it took away my baby. I know this sounds stupid but I blamed some problem I know nothing about for my loss. I got married last year & my husband & I started TTC but nothing has happened yet & I have started worrying about what a blithe ovum is & if it means something is wrong w/ me. Any info will be appriciated. Thanx. ; )

txgrl4lf

Asked by txgrl4lf at 4:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• My understanding is that blithe ovum is when there is a sac present but no embryo inside of it. This happened to a friend of mine and she went on to conceive two beautiful little boys.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I had a blighted ovum. It's basically that things progress as a pregnancy, but no baby develops. There wasn't a baby...just a sack, that's it.

I went on to have three kids after mine with no problem.\
    Anonymous

• A blighted ovum occurs when an egg is fertilized and implants and forms the gestational sac, but the embryo does not develop inside. Apparently the most likely cause is a genetic abnormality in the initial fertlized egg. Having had a blighted ovum does not have an impact on the likelihood of success in future pregnancies. This happened to me with my first pregnancy (diagnosed at 9 weeks and went on to have a natural m/c at 11 weeks) and I have since had three healthy children. HTH a bit and lots of luck conceiving!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I had the same problem. And I now have a 9 month old boy. good luck.. it can happen mom!
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Thank you all for your help & encouragement! : )
    txgrl4lf

Answer by txgrl4lf at 1:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2009