What do you think about Gregory Jacobs organ donation?

Here's the article about 18 year old Gregory Jacobs who was injured in a snowboarding accident. The hospital harvested (just that word sounds cannibalistic, to me..chills and a shiver) his organs before he was legally dead and he may have lived. Here's the link to the article http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/16/earlyshow/health/main4868744.shtml

Okay, obviously we are not organ donors and for this very reason. I don't care if others want to, my parents are but personally speaking, I've suspected they let potential organ donors die or will declare them dead quicker than someone who is of no value to them. Let's face it, medicine has a bottom line nowadays. There's lots of money to be had by hospitals and doctors who take these donated organs (given for free, mind you) and ship them to people who are carrying pagers in great anticipation.

CosmicMomma

Asked by CosmicMomma at 4:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that it's bogus. They have to keep yoru body alive before harvesting organs. There is SO MUCH paperwork involved before the surgery is even started I hightly doubt that it slipped past them. I think that the parents are grieving and that they are upset they couldn't stop their son's wishes. I will donate my organs if something were to happen. Why let them rot inside me when they can save lives?
    Anonymous

• My mother and sister were killed due to a traffic accident. My sister died on scene, my mother died within 2 hours of the accident. NO one approached us about organ donation until my mother had been pronounced and we were made aware of the fact that my sister died on site.

They can ask you while they are alive, but they cant harvest them until pronounced dead.
    Law n Order had an episode about this once, the only reason the dr got caught was he ordered morphene for use in the operating room... Dead people dont feel pain.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 4:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• i believe this happened to these poor people since i know of someone who it almost happened to as well.

this is the very reason why i'm not a donor according to my license. my husband knows i want to donate my organs so he'd let them know at the hospital if it were to come to that.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 4:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I think it's tragic that even one person might be scared out of donating because these people can't accept reality. Brain tissue does not regenerate. If he was so badly harmed that they even had the donation discussion, he wasn't going to have a "full recovery." It's awfully telling that their "expert" is not named.
    My grandfather was 83 when he was hit by a drunk driver, and he suffered closed brain trauma. The neurologist said if we kept him on life support he might, possibly, maybe, wake up some day, and if he did, he'd have the mentality of an infant and if we were lucky, he might be able to feed himself and be potty trained before he died of old age, assuming he would live past 90. The words "full recovery" were not even within the realm of possibility.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I find this hard to believe. The family probably cannot let go. My dad died 7 year ago and it was a process to donate. We saw many test results and were with my dad and knew he was gone. We signed so many papers and went through so much to donate his organs. My dad was brain dead he was never coming back and we knew that. I am sure this family feels so badly they are willing to believe anything and will make anyone the bad guy to ease their guilt. I had guilt and wondered the first couple months if we made the right decision. We wondered had we kept him on life support we would have found he was alive. That was simply not the case. They need to let go and relize the gift they gave another family. My dad saved the lives of three people. I am so sad he died but know he is living on in others.
    Anonymous

• I honestly can't say who is right or wrong in this circumstance. Yes, he may have someday "woken up", but would he have a full recovery? Highly doubtful. I know that if it were me in his circumstance, I would be fine with donating my organs to people who are in need and have a chance at recovery to lead a full life. I can't speak for him, or for his parents, but I also feel the hospital would not have done what they did unless they were positive that he was going to die. JMO.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I don't believe the parents are actually going through with a lawsuit. There are too many steps, too many people and programs involved, and it's all documented. If one person, one nurse, doctor, surgery tech, transporter... anyone that had a part in the procurement of his organs so much as thought he wasn't dead they never would have taken them. I'm sorry the father feels guilty about signing the consent forms (among many other papers, it's not just one form they have you sign.), but that doesn't give him the right to blame the death of his son on many innocent people.
    3earthangels

Answer by 3earthangels at 8:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I'll wait for the jury verdict. Doesn't scare me off being a donor, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:08 AM on Mar. 17, 2009