How long before period will blood test for pregnancy show positive?

I am supposed to start my period on the 19th, I got a blood test done on the 13th, we had unprotected sex on the 6th, it did come back negative but could it be too early to tell still? I forgot to ask my doc, thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would say think if you had a blood test the week before your period, and it was negative that you're not pregnant. Usually at that point you can take an at home pregnancy test, and if you are pregnant it will tell. So having a serum test, I'd say you were not.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• A blood test tests for the level of hcg in the blood and anything about 5 drs will consider a BIG possible pregnancy. You can usually get a good quant level at about 7days past ovulation. (so about a week before your period is due)
    mommyto3rugrats

Answer by mommyto3rugrats at 5:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• i did a blood test 4 days after my missed period and it came up negitive with a 1.5 level they told me to wait a week and retest so i waited 2 still no period and went today to get reestes and it was positive im 7 weeks pregnant so you can have a neg blood test and still be pregnant
    zimmtobe

Answer by zimmtobe at 8:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I am in the same position...I tested this morning and got a positive and went in for a blood test and they said it was negative. My next period wont be until the 2nd, but for a week now I have had severe cramps and nauseous and sooo tired so I decided to test just to see. My husband and I had unprotected sex on the 8th and 9th. I know it would be really early if I was but could that be why the blood test came back negative?? I didnt have to worry about all of this when I had my first since I was already 7 weeks when I found out so I am just confused on all of this
    ryleesmomma

Answer by ryleesmomma at 9:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2009