Juice for 4 month old...

So our pedi gave us the ok to try babyfood and juices but i cant quite remember what she said about the juice. Do I dilute it? Its Gerber white grape. If so, what ratio?

TIA

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 4:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would dilute it. we just did a 50 50 split. if it seems like theyre having a hard time digesting it, add more water
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I don't think you HAVE to dilute it, but I always have. Just like the pp said 50-50 or even more. They're only supposed to have 4 oz. of juice a day, so if you're doing a 50-50 dilution you can give 8 oz of diluted juice a day.

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• The gerber juice is already diluted. It's cheaper and just as good to get regular juice and dilute it 50/50. Just get 100% juice.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• TiccledBlue is right - use up the Gerbers and then switch to 100% juice from the regular aisle. Just be sure to read the label to make sure it is 100% juice, no sugar added.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I diluted 50-50. sometimes I'd use half juice-half milk to make bay cereal
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• my doctor says not to dilute juice because you just end up dilute the good stuff out of it.
    Anonymous

• Just for a tid bit of information the majority of new doctors are being taught to instruct parents not to introduce juice for as long as possible. It is all sugar and has no true value to an infant. There are many studies showing the negative effects of early introduction of juice (not good stuff). To sum up; there is no reason to feed baby juice so don't.

Anonymous

• I never diluted it and used the Gerber stuff in the baby aisle.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Yeah, there's no reason for juice because fruit is more nutritious and less caloric. I'd say avoid the juice because once they have a taste for it a lot of babies prefer it to milk and water and they NEED both of those. I'd dilute it even more than 50/50 if you do want to give it. My daughter's 21 months old now and even now we only give her juice if she's really sick and can't tolerate her milk but needs to stay hydrated. She doesn't know what she's missing (she asks for it for a day or two after she's sick, but gets over it fast). Lots of our friends with toddlers are dealing with kids that want nothing but.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009