packing for the hospital

i'm trying to pack my hospital bag, not sure exactly what to put in. I've done some research, but people keep saying lots of different things. I'm delievering at Overlake, if anyone happens to have been there. What's the hospital provide? what do i need for myself/baby/dad? Thanks!

knjones

Asked by knjones at 4:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• hospitals provide you with pads for your bleeding, diapers and wipes for the baby, usually vaseline for the circumcision (sp?) if its a boy. and a gown. bring pjs for you. some clothes for baby. toiletries, they can provide toiletries but theyll probably be cheap. bring something to keep yourself occupied, a book, or a puzzle book (like wordcross or something) just to keep yourself from getting bored. you can bring slippers and comfy socks, if you want your own pillow bring that. you dont need much, just general stuff to keep yourself comfortable
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Tooth brush w/ your own tooth paste, the one they have is pretty nasty. Clothes for you and baby to go home in. Sweats for you, so you are comfortable. Baby blankets. If you have long hair, somethng to tie it up w/. Lots of chapstick, your lips will get dry from trying to "BREATHE" instead of screaming. Good Luck momma!!!
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 4:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• im packing a few outfits for my twins, toiletries for myself, a couple pairs of pjs, warm socks, my pillow, ipod, and a few snacks for my DD to have. My SO will be coming home at night to take care of DD so he wont be packing anything. the day we come home he will bring the diaper bag for me to put babies stuff in and when he comes up during the day he'll bring movies for DD

Our hospital supplies pads, diapers, wipes, and some other stuff. They have snacks in the lobby for your spouse or coach but i will be packing my own since my mom and dad will be there with me until SO can get there (he works an hour away and is going to work until i go into labor)

make sure you have your camera and baby book(s)
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Nail clippers if you dont plan on biting them. All my kids have been born with super long nails! And outr hospital doesnt have wipes they want you to use a wash cloth but theirs are rough so I always bring my own, but some do have them so it is up to you on that. Extra batteries for your camera. A copy of your birth plan if you have one.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Hospitals provide things like disposible undies (yes they're ugly, but unless you want to ruin yours, use theirs), pads, linens/towels, blankets, pillows, diapers, a hat for the baby, ect.

If you more comfortable using your OWN, however, bring:

Shampoo/conditioner
    Your own soap/bodywash
    Toothbrush/toothpaste
    A smaller pair of your maternity clothes (don't fool yourself...you won't be able to fit into your prepregnancy clothes)
    Socks and slippers (the floor (and room) is cold and you'll want something comfy to stroll around in)
    A nightgown or two (this is ONLY if you don't mind messing it up, otherwise use their gowns)
    A robe (for to cover up)
    A nursing bra and pads (if you plan to nurse)
    Your cell phone charger (lots of people forget them)
    Makeup (you'd be suprised how good a made-up face can make you feel, and make your pictures look good)

Get someone to bring you lots and TONS of snack
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 6:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• (con't)
    (The hospital will provide blankets, diapers, cloth squares for wiping, pacifier, formula, bottles, ect)

For your baby:

1 outfit in a newborn size, and 1 in a premie size (my kids could only wear premie size clothes for the first few months)
    Please don't forget the carseat
    A blanket to put in your baby's cart (I did this to get my baby used to her blanket and because it made her cart stand out :) )
    A few hats (if you want)
    Socks (for their feet and hands (don't waste money on mittens, they don't stay on. Socks work better)
    A boppy if you plan on nursing

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that hospital pillows are really flat and the blankets are sorta thin, so bring yours if you're more comfortable. You may want to get a little bit of reading material (a book or magazine) if you're prone to getting bored like me.

That's all I can think of.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 6:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I brought a few comforting things from home...slippers, my robe, a towel, toilet paper (hospital paper can be brutal), quick read magazines (the celebrity mags that you can read little bits if interrupted). If your hair is long enough, an elastic. I brought my handcream and chapstick, because hospitals tend to be dry and hot. I actually brought my pillow because I hate sleeping on plastic pillows. Good luck with the delivery!
    IceCap

Answer by IceCap at 12:37 AM on Mar. 17, 2009