I have decided to change my ways...

I posted a question earlier today about "Playful Parenting". I did a little bit of reading on the website for the actual book and was lead to a website called askdrsears.com...There were tons of articles about all the aspects of discipline and it really opened my eyes. I have been trying all kinds of approaches to discipline and have now resolved to not spanking at all anymore after reading everything that I read today. Not that I abused my son or anything in the first place but it's just so stressfull when it doesn't solve anything and only makes his behavior worse. What "AHAA" moments have you had like that?

aidengrant07

Asked by aidengrant07 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am now a firm believer in timeouts! It works every time in my house. My baby is only 17 months old and understands timeouts. We just started a month ago. And now it only takes a threat of a 2 minute timeout for her to stop misbehaving! Although I only keep her in time out for just one minute. I try not to overdo it though. She also has a timeout spot in every room in the house and she know exactly where those spots are. Yesterday we were out grocery shopping, and of course, she wanted yet another Dora toy. When I said no, she started crying and screaming. I told her to stop or she would go to timeout right there at a corner in the store. She shut up right away. I guess that would be my "AHA" moment.
    Anonymous

• My AHA moment was when I realized answering questions for dd was causing her to not speak as much or as well. Now she has to answer questions herself. Hard for me, but it is helping.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 7:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My Ahhha moment was when I realized my daughter likes the corner (I did as a child), but not being put in her playpen in another room. It has worked so far.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 7:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009