When should I make a dentist appointment for my child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Health

• At the age of 1. The earlier that they are exposed to the dentist the better!
    Anonymous

• thanks for asking this question because I was wondering the same thing
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 4:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I really would say not before 3 unless they are having problems. Call a pediatric dentist and ask. You will get different answers.

Anonymous

• The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends a child's first dental visit be by 12 months of age. The average child by age 3 has three decayed teeth and that is with only 50% of children seeing a dentist . . . so the earlier the better to prevent problems before they occur.

At this first dental visit, a health history is taken and an assessment of the child's diet and nutition, fluoride adequacy, oral habits, past injuries or trauma, oral development and oral hygiene is performed. Then a clinical oral examination is performed by the pediatric dentist. Following the oral examination, preventive information or recommendations pertaining to diet and nutrition, fluoride, oral habits, injuries, oral development and oral hygiene are presented. If the child has a sufficient number of teeth erupted, they are given a subsequent appointment for a cleaning and topical fluoride treatment.

a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Our family dentist sees kids at the age of 3 unless there are some concerns or problems with the child's teeth or mouth.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

Same with mine well with the ones covered by dd's caresource
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 7:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• When speaking with my dentist, he said the magic number is 3.
    IceCap

Answer by IceCap at 12:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2009