Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I tell my boss.....

I was put on bedrest when I went to the ER, but it was a short-term one until I could see my OB (which I didnt have yet, hence going to the ER). Anyways, they gave me 2 weeks which I turned in to my boss imediately. I saw my doctor a few days later & the nurse said he would re-evaluate me after the NEXT appointment when he could do an ultrasound (the nurse told me because my doctor wont talk to me directly...but no worries, i AM looking for a new one). well it was scheduled for 2 weeks later, & I told my boss to use sick days until the appointment (3 days between when the bedrest let up & the appointment)...but then they changed my appointment to later & my boss called 3 times today to talk to me while I was sleeping...but I'm afraid of what to tell her because the company will only give me 3 days sick leave or I'll be terminated, but I cant work because as soon as I start doing anything physical i bleed! what do i do/say??


Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 4 (38 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Your doctor needs to put you on disability. Some doctors won't do it unless you ask them, so ask. Your boss can't terminate you for a medical reason. Thats the law. No job is worth your baby's health and safety. Your boss has to acept that even if they don't want to. Thats what the family medical leave laws are for. Let your boss know that you are aware of the laws. Check them out in your state first tho. I live in CA.

    Answer by 4monkees at 4:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

  • I believe that legally they can't terminate your employment if you have a dr. note requiring bedrest due to pregnancy. Just make sure you have something to produce to your employer.

    Answer by sillyt at 4:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

  • thats the thing...the bedrest from the ER is expired...but my doctor is waiting until Thursday to re-evaluate I have no Dr note but I know I still cant work, I can barely walk around the house let alone lift bolts of fabric & be on my feet for 8+ hours...

    Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

  • i live in CA i just tell her i still cant come in?? even though i dont have documented proof & already took my 3 sick days?? i sure hope that works...

    Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

  • Family medical leave act allows you to have 12 weeks off a year if you have been with the company for over a year, but anything after 12 weeks they can terminate you. You need to look at it from an employers view too. If you are not there who is doing your work? your co-workers and that is not fair either. Sometimes you need to bite the bullet and see if your taking all this time off now and then when the baby is born is that fair to your employer. I say resign and look for another job when your baby is a bit bigger.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

  • For me to look at it from an employer's standpoint I'm seeing that it's only been three days. That isn't exactly an extended period of time and not something worth resigning over. To the OP: Call your doctor's office and ask them to fax over a dr.'s note to your place of employment. Also, TALK to your boss. If you let this hang in the air and you don't communicate with him/her about your medical issues they can fire you for simply not showing up to work regardless of the reasons if they don't know what they are. You need to get this resolved TODAY or tomorrow you may not have any options available to you.

    Answer by sillyt at 5:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

  • I would just tell him what is going on, and if theyarent cooperative then call your dr and say hey I know you all cant see me but can I get a dr note saying not to go to work untill you do, or see me now kind of thing. If you have insurance you could always go back to the ER but that canget expensive.

    Answer by AK_aries at 5:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

  • well i talked to my boss & told her the situation. she was able to pull some strings & get my my vacation time early, so that will give me an extra week. thank you all for your advice!

    Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 17, 2009