At what age?

When should a child be able to identify all the letters of the alphabet-out of order?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Kindergarten. I am a preschool teacher, I introduce the alphabet to the children but do not expect them to know them by heart, especially out of order. Preschool is for introducing abc's, #'s, colors, shapes stuff like that and mostly for social skills. Kindergarten is where the children are expected to KNOW everything.
    Anonymous

• It is really going to depend on the child. Some children can do it as soon as 2 years old while others are 6 before they can do it. My son is 4 now and it has been a big struggle so I finally stopped stressing over it so much. The other day he pointed out 4 or 5 letters and told me what they were. It seemed like it just all of a sudden clicked for him.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My son is three and can recognize about a third of the alphabet out of order. He knows all the letters in his name, as well as D-O-G and C-A-T. He can recognize numbers 0 thru 9, but after ten he says he number individually.... 11 is not "eleven" its "one,one" or occasionally he'll get silly and tell me "one two" but he knows.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My dd knew all her's at about 2 1/2. At the school that she will be attending the Preschool interduces reading and the Kindergarten students are expected to know how to read.
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 4:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• All children are different. My 4 year old could point them out at 2 but my 2 year old wants nothing to do with it. I keep trying because eventually he will pick it up. I know that preschool is suppose to teach children things like that but it doesn't hurt for a child to learn them sooner. My 4 year old is getting pretty good at spelling and writing he has been able to spell and write his name since he was 3 which is GREAT. He seems to just pick things up quicker then his little brother. It doesn't bother me I just wont give up.. It doesn't hurt for them to learn..
    TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 4:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• IDK my daughter is 2 and she's been doing that for about 6 months now. We started her early I guess.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 4:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• It depends on the child...but I think the latest is in Kindergarten.

My kids learned them out of order before they knew there was an order. They were recognizing their letters at 18 months, shortly after 18 months and about 2 years. The older two know there is an order because of the song, the oldest learning about alphabetizing. The 2 year old couldn't care less...LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I think the standard is that they should know the letters of their name b4 they go to kindergarden. The rest they will learn there.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 4:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• my son is 4 and a half and he can say the alphabet and count to 30 and identify all of what he can count to and all the letters.

he can even read some 2-7 letter words
    Anonymous