My daughter!?!?

My daughter wants a cellphone should i buy her one. She is 12 years old.

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't see the need for a child that age to have a cell phone. If she is at a friends house and needs to call home , I am sure the friends parents will let her use their house phone. If she was at the driving age, and there was an emergency/accident with the vehicle , I can see her having one then.

Answer by acolson3 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Personally, we're probably going to get ours a cell pretty quickly. THere are many situations where she might need to get ahold of you. Does she stay after school for sports, or go to other towns for sporting or band related events? I would make a list of the times she's out of town and possible without a way to call you. Then make your decision.

Answer by samiam6033 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I say, if your daughter is in sports, or some other extra curricular activity after school, then I would buy her one. Just in case of emergency, you know? There's this phone for kids called the Firefly. It has 5 buttons to program, that's it. One for your house, one for 911, & 3 more for any other important numbers she may need to reach, like where you work, or a grandparent. It's not that expensive, & she can literally only call the 5 numbers you choose. It's a good investment.

Answer by kayla-nicole at 2:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• you can but set limits on wo is in her phone list and how may calls she can make and how many texts she can do and let her know its a privledge that can be taken away if she breaks the rules (be wary of school rules) and reward her for staying within her limits by sdding a extra call & text per month she is under the limit.

Answer by vakatia at 2:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

That's what they look like. :)
    Also, I made a mistake. She can call up to 20 important numbers, but still only the ones you program.

Answer by kayla-nicole at 2:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My 8 year old has his own cell phone and my oldest got his first cell phone at the age of 11.  I think it is up to your discretion.  We don't have a home phone and I don't see a problem with it.  It is what works for us. 

Answer by momma2merks at 2:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We just got ours one, she is almost 12. It has a GPS tracking on it through verizon, we can check and see where she is anytime of the day or night...

• I wouldnt buy my 12 yr old a cell phone. I say that now but maybe later on i might. But right now no.

Answer by Mrs.Callahan at 3:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I like the idea of the Firefly phone. Great idea for kids. Mine are still to young (2 and 3), but I think this is a great idea for pre-teens, tweens

Answer by mamashearer at 3:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My nephew is now 13...he got his 1st cell phone when he was 11. He was in alot of after school activities and it was best for him and my sister/BIL. He knows when to use it and when not sister does get the bill. Plus he had to do alot of chores to "earn" the wasn't just given to him. I personally like it...if my girls NEED me...I want to be there ASAP!! GOODLUCK

Answer by BayandMadsmom at 9:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2008