teaching kids about 911 calls

at what age do you or did you teach your child how to make a call to 911 in an emergency? mine is 4 and while i want to explain it to him, especially since we live in a not so nice neighborhood and there is quite a bit of crime out there, i don't want him to mistakenly place a 911 call. we are planning to move in june, but i know all kids should know how and when to dial 911. but at what age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I taought my boys this year and they are 4 and 5 years old. We practiced on a play phone and practiced diferent situations, like a game. They had to tell me which ones were real emergencies. I also discussed with them what the operator might ask.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• 4
    Anonymous

• oh boy i remember when i learned it at school i was 4 and i called 911 and hung up they called back and i started crying. its fine to teach them at 4 but just be forewarned you could get a call back if he calls out of curiosity
    Anonymous

• My son is 4 and we just taught him about it.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2009