Potty training at night

My 3yr old son is potty trained in the day time. I was putting training pants on him at night for bedtime but now he has the hole potty training thing down in the day time I want to teach him for bed time.The last two nights I didn't put training pants on him and he wet the bed. What do I do??

jnb71584

Asked by jnb71584 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• From what I've read, the best thing to do is to keep him in diapers or pullups until he is dry for at leat 4 days out of 7. Then switch him to undies and see how he does. When you do, layer his bed: water proof pad, sheet, another pad, another sheet. Then if you have to change it in the night, you only have to strip the wet layer off instead of hunting down clean ones too.

Remember, night time has nothing to do with day time potty training. They are alseep and are NOT in control of what happens. Some kids just sleep too deeply and never know they have to go (or went!). Unless he is waking up, refusing to get out of bed, and deliberetly peeing in bed, he can't control it and no amount of day time training (or punishments) will change it. Bedwetting is common up to 5 or 6 years old. Some kids wet even longer than that. Give him time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Sometime you have to keep the training pants just for night time until he is able to wake up when he needs to potty. My son wore them until he was almost 3 but one night he woke me up and told me he had to potty and that was that.. Hope it gets easier.
    TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 4:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• It's not going to happen over night so be prepared for some accidents. What worked for us was no drinks past 7pm. Bed time is at 8:30. We would have her use the potty before bed, most of the time she will go. If not, try waking him up to use the potty before you head to bed. Also in the am, I would have my husband wake her up at 6:30am to use the potty and then send her back to bed.

My daughter had a few accidents and then she didn't like the wet bed feeling so she now gets out of bed and goes.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 6:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You can not night potty train, it will happen when thier bodies are ready to do it. "Night trained" usually come's later for most kids and it is different for every kid. It also take's longer for little boys, most of my girls had the nights down pat within months of the day training, but my boys could take up to a year.

When they are asleep thier bodies miss the cue's and some kids bladder's just don't have the control to go for more then 3 hours at a time. Don't push it or make yourself crazy, it is one of those things as parents we have very little control over, just know it will happen when he is ready.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• He might have a bladder problem. My brother who is now 20 didn't stop wetting the bed until he was 14 and it was because the doctors finally said he had a problem and put him on meds to mature his bladder. My son is almost 4 and not completely potty trained but he never goes at night so that could be the reason. Just a thought. Good luck.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2009