Discipline a 1 year old?

How do you discipline you 1 year old? My dd is a very good baby - but she doesn't listen when you say no even though she knows she's doing something she shouldn't be. So how do you get a 1 year old to understand you mean no?

Val1313

Asked by Val1313 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have a two year old and he doesnt listen sometimes too. you just have to be consistant but I also like to try and use other words besides no because usually a child will rebel to the word NO...I say , "lets not do that because you can get an owwie"...i try to give them an explaination to why they cant do it and it makes them feel like they have some independance too , at the same time.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 5:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I know a lot of people are not gonna like the answer but if you remove the child from the situation and the child continuously returns there is nothing wrong with a Lil tap on the hand.

TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 5:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• The first line of defense is redirection. "No sweetie, you can't play with the scissors. Let's find a fun toy to play with instead". Then put the scissors or whatever out of reach (or move the baby to a different location instead), find a good toy and play with her for a few mintues to reward her for switching toys.

The second line of defense is calm down time. If she throws a fit when you take the scissors away, take her to her calm down / time out spot and leave her until she is calm. Pick a spot with no toys around, no TV to watch, and some place for you to sit nearby within her sight. You can ignore her or talk/sing very softly until she is calm again. Then pick her up and say something like this: I know you were mad when I took the scissors away. Scissors can hurt you. Let's find a toy to play with. Then find a toy and play for a few minutes to reward her for calming down.

-cont-
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I spat his hand.. he so knows what no is.. but he just choosesz to not hear me.. lol but we are getting better.. spat the leg if it gets wores.. that what i do..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Last is time out. If she has broken a rule - gone after the scissors despite repeatedly being told they are not a toy to continue the example or thrown a block, bitten someone, etc - then you use time out. She knows it was against the rules and is looking to see what the reaction will be. Take her to her timeout spot and leave her. Time out starts once she is calm so let her calm down as I described above but once time out starts - do NOT talk to her. Set a timer and ignore her (but stay in sight for her peace of mind) until the timer goes off. Then pick her up and say the same type of thing I describe above.

It's worked really well for my little one. She HATES time out and will almost always stop whatever it is once I warn her.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You divert their attention to something else. They don't really understand "no" yet at this age.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 5:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Yes, what SmileyMoo and Kaycee said.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I'm a daycare provider. At this age, the only thing you can do is redirection. Discipline will not really work at this stage of development. Maybe you could babyproof her room to create an environment where she can explore without having to be told "no" :) Great question!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 8:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• little kids think that everything belongs to them, they don't get it yet, just listen to how many times you hear "mine" , drives you crazy. But taking the item away, replacing the unsafe item with a safe on is very good. If they keep going back then you need to take them from the room, again distract is best. It seems that we have some pretty smart young moms on here, I am impressed with some answers. As my names implies, I am a grammie..been there done that, hang in there mom's it gets better as they grow....really. Good that you are teaching them now to listen to you. In my field I see too many moms that the kids run the parent... good for you for asking for advice.....
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 8:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You are starting a bit late but it's never "too late". You must not continue to repeat yourself, this child knows what you are saying and knows what they are doing. You have to give the order with a smile and if they do not comply then you take them by the hand and assist them in obeying. If they still don't do what you said you must inflict some pain. We say something once, then again while showing the child what to do and then if they refuse we slap their leg and start again until it is done. You have to make sure they understand that you are serious or they will play games with you and manipulate you.
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 12:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2009