Is it wrong to CLOSE my toddler's bedroom door when he is asleep?

I dont mean LOCK the door. I just shut it close. This is the only way he would fall asleep. He needs absolute darkness to fall asleep. I have tried without fail to leave the door open but he would just cry and cry. As soon as I close the door, he falls asleep. I have a video monitor with nightlights so I can see him and hear him at all times. My MIL has criticized me saying it is wrong for his emotional wellbeing. He is still in a crib so I am not scared he would get out and honestly I dont see how this is wrong. What do you guys suggest I do if you feel this is wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't feel like it's wrong. As long as you check on him regularly and you are only a room or 2 away. And if you feel bad about it you could always crack the door or wait until his asleep and open it a little.

TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 5:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• no i dont think its wrong at all
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I close JBz everytime he goes to bed... I always turn the monitor on if you need it.. but we have to be so quite when he is sleeping latly but i always do.. to answer you..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Um, no its not wrong. We close our sons door when he is napping because we are cleaning, or cooking and it gets loud with the dogs running around. If you can still see and hear him, then its fine. I just check on my son, even though we have a monitor.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• How is wrong if it's what he likes? Don't listen to your MIL. This what works for your child and that is all that matters.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• NO it is not wrong and his well being is fine, if you have monitors in his room and you can see in there to keep and eye on him, there is no reason to feel bad about it. Especially if darkness is the only way he will sleep. It is not wrong. And, he is in a crib so, you know he is safe!
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I don't think so. my husband always made sure we opened our son;s door when we went to bed (after he was asleep) because there was no smoke alarm in his room - I think was what he said was his reasoning
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I don't see how it is wrong either. I have been shutting my sons door since he has been in a crib. He is 2 now. He will not go to sleep if the door is open even just a crack. My daughter who is 6 months is the same way she has to have complete darkness to sleep. As long as you can hear them or check on them occasionally, I really don't see what is wrong with it. If there is something let me know because I do it with both my kids.
    tabycat32

Answer by tabycat32 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I hope it's not wrong, because if so I'm the worst mom. My DD is only 1 and I've been closing her door since she was about 3 months. I have to, or our dogs will go in her room and keep her up and if we put a gate they would sit in front of it and wimper.
    Anonymous

• Of course it's not wrong. Not only is it what he is most comfortable with, it's actually safer if there is a fire in the house since it puts a closed door between him and the fire.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009