Would you be able to stay with someone that doesn't want to get married?

If marriage was really important to you, could you stay in a relationship knowing that the guy may not ever want to get married?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• Nope, I honestly couldn't. Marriage is a deal breaker for me!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• No
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• For me it would really depend. I mean i want to get married but what does it change really. Your last name? I mean if you have a lot invested in the relationship I wouldn't push it or leave because he didn't wanna get married.

TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 5:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• No way. I've been in that situation. I can understand if both parties were happy with not getting married. But for me, marriage was important. Fortunately, we broke up and I found someone who wanted to get married..
    MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Well it shouldn't matter if you love each other.
    Technically, if you've been together for more than 9 months legally and on taxes OR have a child together and live in the same house (not sure if this goes for the states as well..) then you are concidered common-law and counts as the same thing.
    So right now I'm married but without the title or ring.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• No, and I have been there. I loved him and he knew how much it meant to me to be married and have a family. He straight up told me that he wasnt willing to make that kind of investment in our relationship and I told him good bye. If someone truly loves you, they will be willing to make that commitment to you, even if its not that big of a deal to them.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• As the first poster said, if it's a deal breaker then that is the bottom line. For me it wouldn't matter since I've vowed to never marry again. Marriage didn't work for me and I have no desire to try it again although I have no problem with a long term relationship without the paper.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• in the words of Dr. Laura "Any man that would keep you as his unpaid whore and is not willing to make the commitment of marriage is not a man."
    Anonymous