can a bottle...

cause an ear infection in a 12mth old, because its harder to pull on?My LO is still on the bottle and i've never heard of this, but has anyone else?He just wont have anything to do with a cup right now unless its mine.No sippy.What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes bottle babies have a much higher chance of ear infections. Just make sure that he is as upright as possible when eating. I would take him to get it looked at. He may need antibiotics.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• he's got the antibiotics.I knew that milk gettin into the ear could cause it, but the dr. was on sum-n abbout him sucking did it?
    Anonymous

• DITTO Calliesmom
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• bottles or pacifices can lead to ear infects or cause pain when they have an ear infection. It's not the bottle, but rather the position baby is in when feeding from a bottle. Chances are a one year old is self feeding and therefor sitting up. But if baby is laying down or only slightly propped up when drinking, the fluid can get into the ear canals and cause problems. I had to get onto my day care for the propped up feedings b/c of increased ear infections. Then the sucking in general can cause ear pain when there's fluid in there / infection.
    Anonymous

• I always assumed it was the liquid and the positioning that caused ear infections, not the sucking.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• i have never heard the sucking thing....thought it was just the fluid. Well, I guess the sucking could do it b/c if you have to suck harder then it affects your eustacian tube which is the tube from your ear to your throat.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• me either...thats why I asked.I think he was just telling me that to get him off the bottle cause he is a year old lol, but I cant push my LO into sum-n he's not ready for right? I will def. get him on the cup asap tho. Thanks!
    Anonymous

• If they take a bottle to bed, and it stays in their mouths, milk can drain back in their ears and give them ear infections. So yes, they can.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 6:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• it could be the position he is laying in. It is harder to get milk from the breast than a bottle btw.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2009