Question from one athiest parent to another....

there is a kid at my daughters school filling her with horrible stories about me and her dad burning in hell (she's 5 btw), and now my daughter is scared silly and keeps telling my husband and I how she doesn't want us to burn like ____ said we would.

We have tried explaining that everyone believes different things, and we don't believe we are going to burn once we die, but she is SO freaked out...

Any advice on what to say to her? And, how should I handle the situation with the other kid?!?! The parents are WORSE.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The best thing to do first.. is sit your daughter down and talk to her about why you and your hubby are not going to hell.. you can do so simply by telling her that hell is a make believe place that some people still believe in. Then pop in a movie, on that in the end, the good guy/girl wins.. proving to her, that it's what you are as a person that matters. If you are good, good things will come.. etc. This should easy some of her fears.. as for what to do with the parents of the other child and other child:
    I would first go to the teacher and principle, and talk to them about setting up a meeting with the other parents to discuss with them about what their child is saying to yours.. tell them that type of behavior will not be tolerated, and if it continues you will take legal actions against them. (be sure to document every incident that occurs, in case they refuse to stop their child from bullying yours).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Well obviously that parent's child has told her these things. I don't know if there is much you can do-I would just keep on reassuring her that she will be okay.
    Anonymous

• first of all stay away from those people second, Im not atheist but I would just tell her that it matters how good of a person you are and not what you believe in and you should be nice to people. i dunno. sorry.
    Anonymous

• Your daughter is being bullied. It's no different than if this other kid was telling her robbers were going to break in and kill her. Report her to the school and make sure they know you are serious.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I completely agree with NotPanicking. The other girls parents need to understand that her behavior is considered along the lines of bullying. Let the school Principal know and they should take it from there. Go in and be firm but polite. Assure the school that you are serious on the matter. Never approach school officials without confidence.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Now being a bully as a child I never began at the age of 5. Lets be honest. 5 yr old kids don't act that way. I think its getting thrown out of proportion. Just kindly ask the parents to tell her daughter it was mean to say that and move on. The more you over react on this situation.It will make you look bad.
    Anonymous

• by being negative will make it worse on everyone including your daughter.
    Anonymous

• Having had to face a school principal to ask him to tell an overly zealous Christian student to knock off harassing my kid, I'm with the ones who say your daughter's being bullied...and harassed. The school would never tolerate your kid harassing this other kid for her religion so it's not fair for your daughter to be harassed over her non-religion.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 6:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• 5 yr old kids don't act that way.

Yes, they do. Have you spent much time with 5 year olds lately? Or 4 year olds? Kids do what their parents allow and encourage, and these days, we have an epidemic of precious little snowflakes who can do no wrong and receive positive reinforcement for everything they do, including harassing and bullying other little kids.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I'm not atheist either but have had my varying doubts about the institution of religion. Honestly- if you feel very strongly that you would like your daughter to share your beliefs then tell her in simplified terms why you feel the way you do about religion. Tell her that not everyone feels that way and everyone's veiws should be respected- even hers. Tell her that the way you believe, there is no Hell to go to so there is no way for you to "burn" and honestly tell her that according to the religion of the bully- what that bully is doing to your daughter is called "judging"--- which will get her thrown in Hell just as fast (all sins are measured equally) I'mnot saying to be negative to anyone, but arm your daughter with information- she will face this all of her life and so she'd better start preparing now (people are very judgmental regarding those who are different)
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2009