Dog's HOT SPOTS-Medical!

My collie has been to the vet due to hot spots- this was about 3 weeks ago, and she is still having issues with it on her stomach, around one eye and in her back near her rump- my husband and I are trying everything possible-HELP!

mikko2285

Asked by mikko2285 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pets

• maybe she needs a vet dermatologist specialist - no kidding. Has any spot been cultured to make sure it's just a hot spot? I was told a hot spot is just from a dog finding a favorite chomping ground on himself. Maybe yours is allergic to something? Sorry hope puppy feels better soon!!!
    Anonymous

• sounds like dog allergies. My dog did this during the spring and summer, had to get cortizone shots once a month, but in the winter cleared up.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• We always had to get some medication to put on our dog. He would always get them from swimming in Lake Michigan.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I agree with the majority, it sounds like an allergy..what did your vet say?
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Have you tried doing an elimination diet to see what might be causing the skin reactions? Fish oil? Skin and coat supplements like Missing Link? There are a lot of things out there that can help, but of course knowing exactly what is causing it helps.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My dog was allergic to his food. So we started on a totaly differant kind. No grain in his food as he was allergic to corn,and corn meal. The vet also perscribed a GENONE spray ,only thru a vet can you get it, and all hot spots are gone. So you may want to ck out the food your feeding and have your vet recommend something else or ck dog food on line for all kinds of good stuff. We also are adding omega 3 fish oil to the food for skin and coat. Now he is great and his coat and skin are awsome. Ck for fleas too , make sure he doesn't have them, as it tis the season and they can cause hot spots. Good hunting, hope you find something that works.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 8:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My dog used to get hot spots, the vet said to give him Children's Benadryl. It helped a lot.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Has the vet put her on steroids yet? My golden retriever had a hot spot on his face last year (Staph infection) that spread. $500 later after surgery, shave, debridement, he then put him on steroids as well as a cortisone spray. He cleared up nicely, oh and antibiotics also. Also, tar shampoo works very well. Keep her bathed and dry and depending on the severity of the sore(s) you can put Neosporin ointment as well as all the other stuff I mentioned. You can also give your dog over-the-counter Benadryl tabs. It could be that she is allergic to grass (very common). This might alleviate some of her symptoms. You need to know if these "hot spots" are Staph infection. This will make a big difference in treating her.
    tash2texas

Answer by tash2texas at 11:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• What are you feeding her? Honestly, while you might snub the idea of a 40 dollar bag of dog food, it may be cheaper in the long run to get a holistic, natural brand. She may be allergic to a filler or a dye. My dog has a dye allergy.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:11 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Take her back to the vet so they can do further testing. Obviously they didn't help he much the 1st time. There could be soooo many causes for what your dog is experiencing, it would be best for your dog to go back to the vet then for anybody else to try to guess what could be wrong (it could be one of a hundred things!) Take her back to the vet!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Mar. 17, 2009