how do you feel about home schooling your children?

I have home schooled and did public schools my question is how do other moms feel about this subject?

jeskay

Asked by jeskay at 5:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• AND we never had the silly "teen aged" junk that many parents go through. Our kids ALWAYS enjoyed going places and doing things with us. We built a trust and a relationship with them that few parents get to experience......and it was because we made a choice to home educate. They are even close to their grandparents! My two sons were thrilled to make their first sky dive with me last summer--NOW that is cool--to go and do that with your two grown sons:-)

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• There is no way I could home school. I have a college degree but I still don't feel that I am qualified to teach my child everything they need to know. I understand the school system is lacking itself but still.
    Anonymous

• I feel great about it.
    I happen to think I am MORE qualified than the majority of public school teachers.
    Anonymous

• For my children it is not an option. My kids are in a french immersion school learning to read, write and speak a second language (which will make it easier for them to learn a 3rd, 4th, etc). I don't know any french at all, so homeschooling wouldn't work for us. Plus, my kids drive me crazy, I'd be in the nut hatch if I were around them during the school day too! Seriously by the time the school holidays are over I'm so ready for them to be back at school. I really don't have a problem with homeschooling, what ever works for others is great, but it's not for us.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My children are grown now but I must say that I do understand why so many choose to homeschool now. The kids don't seem to get the one on one that every child needs to some degree in school. They also have so many rules that it is rather hard to see how they can be anything but mini adults. At home it is more one one one, they can have a break, they have cetain rules that every home has and they learn the same things that they would in a classroom. The only thing is the amount of interaction with other kids but that can be achieved by scouts, outings, sports, etc. JMO
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• It worked great for us:-) All three would do it again:-) But if we had had a foreign language immersion school available--that would have been a tough choice:-) As it were--I loved being around my kids and I am very close to all three. And all three are each others' best friends--they are close. And I know that is because of home education and learning with each other and spending and doing so much together. I miss it but I love the adults they are becoming:-) And I miss the energy they brought to our home:-(

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I do not have the patients (sp?) and am clearly not qualified. lol. I will keep a close eye on my child's public school education to make sure he is getting everything he should out of it. He is very clever and I will make sure he gets a teacher who is capable of nurturing his ability to learn things so quickly. I will not allow him to be let down by the system. I absolutely do not have a problem with other people home schooling there children. I think it is great they are able to do that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I personally *thought* I could do it BUT I am not one of those moms that can be with her children all the time like that. I am VERY much looking forward to my children starting school and me going back to work and having a life outsie of being a mom. I Love my children dealry but I dont want my entire being to revolve around them,Then what will I do with myself when they move on and have their own lives? Plus I want my children to do all the sport things, school dances,dating,slumber parties,feild trips with freinds,prom, and so on. I Love school and all my freinds growing up and I want the same for my kids. Plus I LOVED high school it was the best time of my life and all the crazy fun things I did. I plan to teach my kids right and wrong but I can not protect them from every single thing even though we would all love too. I want them to enjoy their childhood and to me freinds and school comes along with childhood.
    LilyFrogTat

Answer by LilyFrogTat at 6:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• HS isn't about "protecting and coddling"--I know few other kids that have had the childhood that mine had----all three would agree they had a great time. They were able to do sports, have friends, etc. It is far more than school at home--it is a lifestyle of learning--it is education vs. schooling. They did miss out--if you call it that---on all the stupid drama that my nieces and nephews have had during their school years. My kids were too busy with life to get involved in such shallow stuff. They are all three very independent and have always been mature--and they are all thinkers;-) It isn't for everyone because it is a lifestyle--not just a sit down and fill out the books. We did A LOT of reading and A LOT of discussion---and I am still impressed with their minds:-) AND I have always had a life of my own--but I cherish the relationship I have with all three:-)
    Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I feel it's something that is good for some, and yet not for everybody. I was homeschooled from 6th grade on, I graduated at 16 and worked full-time while going to collage, I have had a good life with wonderful friends and family, it worked for me. Now I do homeschool my children through a program that is now out there for those that wish to homeschool, my children are tested two-four grades above their grade level, they are all in extra curricular activities and have friends, they've been in public school and when asked they will tell you they prefer homeschooling, it works for them. It just doesn't work for everybody, and is something that if a family is curious about they should gain knowledge of pro's/con's, their state laws and standards, as well as talk to the homeschooling community.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 8:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2009