Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


When facing a IRS AUDIT would you say it is best to obtain a lawyer to deal with your audit, or would you go at it yourself????
Have you been audited?
If so what was the outcome?

Answer Question

Asked by LimoMOM5 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 3 (16 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • At my firm, we recommend getting a cpa to be with you. Sometimes things you say may not mean the same thing to the auditor.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

  • Thanks, but would you get a lawyer to do all the talking or should I be there. A lawyer can cost around $3500.00 and that is completely worth it if it will help me from making a matter worse then it already is?

    Answer by LimoMOM5 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

  • If you haven't kept detailed records of donations, expenses, deductions, etc., then you might want to consider getting a lawyer!

    The auditor wants to see HOW you arrived at your tax write off totals, and you will need to show concrete proof (time/date stamped receipts). If your numbers (proof) don't add up to what you claimed on your taxes, you will have to pay the difference, and possibly a fine. Auditing is generally random, however, if you have a decent income, and pay very little tax due to write offs, that sends up a red flag at the IRS.

    In the future, I recommend buying an accounting/ledger book, some manila envelopes, and getting a large shoe (boot size) box, and save EVERY receipt you plan to use for the tax year in it, and each month go through it, total up your write offs, write all of your totals on the outside of the envelope--with month and year, and store in the box. Records should be kept for 3-7+ years!

    Answer by LoriKeet at 6:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.