Need diet help! Advice appreciated.

Here's my dilemma: I have about 6 or 7 pounds left to lose from my second pregnancy. I have never had trouble with my weight, but I am definitely noticing that after baby #2, these last few pounds are being stubborn.

The second part of my dilemma is this: If I diet in any way, I fight terrible dizziness, irritability and exhaustion. I mean that honestly - if I cut calories at all, or reduce portion sizes, etc, I feel completely rotten!

I usually only eat until I'm full and then stop, and I'm not a huge snacker. So is there a chance that in order to lose these last few pounds, I should be beefing up my exercise routine instead of trying to eat less?

Thoughts?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 6:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I would take a really good look at what you do eat. Is it more natural or a lot of refined foods? I would try to eat more greens---check out greensmoothiegirl.com. Many think if they are eating the "low fat" items they are eating healthy--but these are usually full of sugar or artificial sweeteners--both not good for you. Take a look at the YOU books--or Dr. Joel Furhman's site and books. I would concentrate on weights because muscle burns more calories--so the more lean muscle you build the more calories you will burn.
    Anonymous

• Do you take any vitamins at all? The dizziness and exhaustion to me sounds like you aren't getting all the nutrion you need.
    Anonymous

• Thanks guys. I take a multi-vitamin every day and I eat a fairly balanced diet...that's why I'm confused by how awful I feel when I cut calories. I avoid "low fat" labeled foods...basically when I cut calories, I just try to eat smaller portions of my normal diet. That includes a lot of protein (eggs, lean meats, yogurt, etc) supplemented with fruits and veggies.

I don't get it. I feel my best when I eat what I want and just stop when I'm full, and keep a regular exercise routine. But every time I try to eat even the slightest bit less, I feel horrid. It makes me think maybe I'm not eating an excess of calories to begin with?
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Atkins
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Are you sure it isn't your eyesight? A doctor told me to get my eyes checked after I complained about being dizzy after breastfeeding, and it my eyesight, not my diet, that was causing problems.
    sillymoo

Answer by sillymoo at 3:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I would definitely check with a doctor. They can help you find the best way for you to lose weight and should be able to figure out why you are getting dizzy.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 10:06 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• The dizziness is coming from the ups and downs of sugar. I would completely cut out sugar. Instead, eat natural sweet stuff like Canteloupe & Watermelon.
    Anonymous

• You may want to try a food journal to see exactly how many calories you are consuming. Make sure that you calculate the number of calories that you SHOULD be consuming on a daily basis (usually somewhere between 1200 - 1700 depending on your activity level). After calculating your daily caloric needs, create a 500 calorie deficit (either by cutting out 500 calories, burning 500 calories through exercise or a combination of both) to lose 1 lb a week. I suggest an online food journal because they do most of the work for you...there are plenty to choose from. I personally recommend the daily plate at livestrong.com. It is easy to use and the database of food and exercise is huge. The daily plate will calculate your daily caloric needs based on your personal information and weight loss goals. Good luck!
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Addressing your 2nd dilemma; you might have low blood sugar. Have you tried snacking every couple of hours throughout the day to try to maintain a constant level of sugar in your blood? If this doesn't work, you might want to consider having a dr. check your thyroid to rule out low blood sugar.
    Hollybabe

Answer by Hollybabe at 11:16 AM on Aug. 5, 2009