Any assistance for college mommies?

Here's the thing. I'm young, single (well also seperated from my husband who is not my children's father) and broke. I'm starting college next week and I need some help here. Any kind of assitance grant or student loan (which I'm trying to avoid) will help. Anyone here in college and know of any assistance I might try for?
(If you have nothing nice or helpful to say please don't respond.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• Why would you avoid a grant? It is free money. You may or may not get enough in grants, otherwise, your only choice would be loans.
    Anonymous

• Go to the financial aid office of the college and get information on scholarships they may offer. Also, fill out the FAFSA online for a pell grant.
    Anonymous

• think she is trying to avoid the loan.
    Grants aren't "free money" I had grants last year and I definitely payed them back in my taxes this year.
    But if you are a single mom you will get grants :)
    mama.love.

Answer by mama.love. at 6:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Apply for the FAFSA (Free application for Student Aid)

It is a first come first serve type of thing, and also depends on how many units you are taking. I am going part time (Full time is considered 12 units in most colleges), am a single mom, and I get 591 twice a semester for a total of 1182 a semester.
    Also, apply for the BOG waiver (BOG = Board of Governors) it covers most, if not all, of your tuition.

ALSO check in and see if your college has an on-site daycare. Most wont take a kid unless 18 months or older, but you can get in for free or low cost daycare, and your kid will be right there with you at school.

Good Luck :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2009