Can a spayed female still have "heat" cycles?

We have a male and a female dog and the female has been spayed; but the male is intact. Every few months it seems that the male just will not leave the female alone...and then he's fine for a while...

So even though she's been fixed is it possible he's still smelling hormones? Or do male dogs have a heat cycle as well?

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pets

• If the female has been spayed for a while then she is not producing any more hormones. The male dog is just doing what male in general do best...pester the females for some hot luvin' lol!
    Anonymous

• IDK, when a woman gets fixed she still gets "in the mood" right? I'd think it was the same with dogs...

Animals still have urges too...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Is the female more dominant than the male? It's possible he is testing her dominance. Humping is not just a sex thing for dogs but also dominance.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• What Christina said...my cat likes to establish his dominance. He humps my dogs head. We had a female foster cat who urinated on the dog...because she thought she was the Alpha pet...she also urinated on my wash and my male cat....
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:13 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Hmm - she's been fixed for years...and yes she does challenge him fairly often for dominance even though he's a little older and I tend to try to encourge him being in charge (he listens better)...so I suppose it could have to do with who's in control; but IDK why but it seems he's normal for a while then for a week or two he just won't leave her be and then he goes back to being normal again...I wouldn't mind getting him fixed too but my fiance has some sort of un-evolved gut check reaction to any conversation about removal of the jewels & the dog is like 8 yrs old; IDK if it would make a difference in the behaviour at this point...??
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I'm on a few dog message boards and it seems as though more often than not, in a house with a female and males, the or one of the females tends to be the alpha. It's possible your female is more dominant, but the male gets mixed signals from you and then thinks he can try to take over and she isn't letting him. Does he tend to give up his food to her or his spot on the couch? Does he roll over for her? If so, I would try treating her as though she is the alpha - feeding her first, letting her out of the crate first, etc., and see if that helps. Also, for your fiance, PETA has a new ad that says Have the Cojones to Fix Your Dog. BTW, I am not a fan of PETA by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like this slogan.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Thanks - I wish she listened to me as well as he did then I'd be fine with her being in charge - but she ignores me a lot (female to female I assume; lol) and I worry he'll take her lead if she's the 'alpha' ykwim? He'd probably fight her to the death over his food; but he will get up and move if she's staring at him when he's laying down and see he'll growl if she's staring at him or something like challenging him like he warns her he doesn't like it - she doesn't give him warning; she'll just stare then snap at him...that's not often but on the occasion they do get to wound up...Anywho - I'll give it a try I do normally put his food down first and try to let him out of the door first; etc...so I'll try letting her have the lead for a bit and see if that helps any - thanks!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2009