Babysitting 4 mo. old with Colic... Help?

How do you calm a baby with colic? Other than constantly holding the baby how can you calm them? FYI I can't constantly hold simply for the fact I have 2 kids of my own both under 3.

watersgirls

Asked by watersgirls at 6:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hold baby tummy down across your lap to try and get burps out along with gas.
    Otherwise you might just have to wait until they cry themselves to sleep.
    Mine was had colic and it was her formula.
    What does the little one eat?
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Does he/she have a swing? My son had colic and the swing was often one of the only things that could comfort him for a little while. Or ask the parents if you can try Mylicon (gas drops). If you can't keep holding him/her, I would put them in their crib for a few minutes and gather your thoughts... and then pick them up and try things again.
    parkersmama08

Answer by parkersmama08 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• She is on some special anti-gas/colic formula and I have given her some milicon and still even when I do hold her she still cries I am so lost considering my 2 NEVER were this way! I'm not stressed out about it but I just don't like uncomfortable babies when I don't know what to do. She's been fed, changed, and played with but still she won't stop. I am watching her at my house and don't have a swing b/c I gave it to the parents for her to have... lol kinda ironic I think... but now my SO will be home shortly with her STILL crying and he doesn't deal well with crying babies since he was in Iraq. Just thought I would see if there was a trick to these kind of babies. No big deal if it doesn't work out.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 6:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• the gas drops worked wonders with my baby
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• At 4 months it doesn't sound like colic, it sounds like reflux. Try setting him down in a sitting or titled position and in a swing. Reflux is awful for kids. He needs to get checked by his pediatrician, and I can give you some hinst until then.
    Always let sleep, sit, in an upright or titlted position. A car seat works best for this.
    Swings rock. Get one or invest in a snguli, not a sling.
    Give thicker formula and thicken it with rice cereal. If he is on baby food, thicken it with rice cereal.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• 4 months is a bit old for colic (usually stops after 12 weeks) unless the child was born premature and then you add the number of weeks premature they were. Please tell the mother the child needs to be evaluated. My son had reflux and cried fro 5 months straight (seriously) reflux meds didnt work for him at first so they ruled it out until he started vomitting blood one night. Please make sure this baby is checked out if nothing else to rule out a serious illness.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2009