14MO wont stop biting me!

this is somthing she has started a couple days ago, before that we had no problems with her biting and now all of a sudden she bites me, but she doesn't bite anyone else. It started were if she was upset because she wasn't getting her way then she would bite me, hard enough to leave bruises on me and she wouldn't stop unless I smacked her for it, which I dont really like doing unless theres no other option, and now shes started biting the furniture and leaving marks in it or she'll be cuddling with me and all of a sudden bite me. I dont like being bitten, it hurts! I can tell she knows shes doing somthing wrong, but she keeps doing it, so how do I make her stop without smacking her?

Gaberielle

Asked by Gaberielle at 6:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bite her back. I am not joking. I did it with dd and within two days she was over it.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• my DD likes being bitten though, we chew on her feet and hands and stomach and she laughs about it, my DH even bites her fingers so hard that I would slap him if he bit me that hard...and I think I might've just figured out the problem...could she be biting us because she likes being chewed on and shes trying to do to me what she likes being done to her?
    Gaberielle

Answer by Gaberielle at 7:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I do believe so! I have always nibbled on my kids but they haven't ever actually bitten me. I always used to say "no teeth!"...LOL Why did God make babies so tasty? :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 8:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• It is the age and it is a phase, if she bites remover her from yourself..like if you are cuddling on the couch and she bites you, say "NO BITING THAT HURTS MOMMY AND I DON'T LIKE TO BE HURT!" very firmly, then set her on the spot you were sitting and walk out of the room or move to a different spot. Don't let her come right to you, give it a few minutes, when she does come back let her know that biting isn't ok. If she bites again repeat the process. It usually take s a few day's but they do get it. Mine always bit again cause the first time it happens I laugh...my bad, I know...

As to the poster who said bite back, it works. I only had to do it with one of my kids and that was after about two weeks of him drawing blood, but only use it as a last resort.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Bitting back? I cannot see that one, especially if you have to bite hard enough for it to hurt you risk marking the child. Then there is alway the situation that suzy bit anna and anna bit her back and anna drew blood, who gets punished? that is what mommy did to anna? Do we say to anna it was ok because suzy bit first but not as hard. Now anna thinks it is ok to bite hard enough to hurt someone. I just am not comfortable about the biting back. Maybe contact you doctor and see if there is something that can be used on the childs lips if they bite, or maybe a distasteful food like mustard, not alot just put a little dab on their lip, but not alot kids can choke on certain things if they get too much..
    Anonymous

• My son is the same way. I tried to distance myself from him when he would bite me but that would only fuel his rage. He always bites me when I tell him no or take something away from him. I also tried smacking him on the hand but I always turned out to be the one crying and him the laughing one!

Biting back works too! It hurt my sons feeling and he will cry and continue to through his tantrum but at least he won't bite me again. Well at least until I tell him no again or take something away, lol.

good luck and I hope someone has some good ideas!

Anonymous

• Well when my son would try to bite me I would look him in the eye and give him the "mom" look and say in a stern voice - "NO biting. Biting hurts". Do you notice what triggers the biting? What about using a distraction? If you know she is getting ready to bite -distract her with something - a toy, read a story... Another suggestion- when she is going to bite -give her something she can bite-- like a child chew toy, cracker, a frozen banana. Good luck!! I hope she gets over it soon!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Tell her "no biting" then hold her in your lap facing away from you for one minute, repeat "no biting", give her a kiss and move on. Do this every time and she'll learn.
    Also, if you can see the bite coming, distract her. Distraction is still your best friend at this age.
    If she's cuddling with you and all of the sudden biting, say to her "no biting, that hurts, if you get excited give mommy a squeeze.
    One of my boys started biting around 10 mos out of anger/frustration and the time out technique I mentioned totally worked. Then around 14/15 mos he started biting when he got excited. He'd come running over to me or we'd be cuddling and he's just get so excited that he'd bite. We did the "give mommy a squeeze" thing and that replaced the bite.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• This works, guaranteed so do it and prove me right, I have over twenty years of experience to back me up! Every time she bites you pluck her in her lip very firmly and tell her not to bite. Do it every time she bites anyone or anything and she will stop if you are consistent. I have raised three of my own and provided care for dozens of others over the years and this method has never failed. And it won't fail you unless you fail to follow through.
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 9:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• thanks for the sugestions guys! I'll start trying them out and hopfully she'll stop!
    Gaberielle

Answer by Gaberielle at 10:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2009