my friends 2.5 year old son will not quit unfastening his carseat. he even undoes the actual seatbelt. is there a carseat made for kids who want to escape? ive never had this problem, so cant help, my kids always sat just fine in their carseat .

jbirchard

Asked by jbirchard at 7:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did the same thing with my kids and grand kids that refuse to stay buckled...STOP the car. at first it was a joke, a game, but when I said that if we kept stoping I would have to go home they quit. they also got tired of stopping and not getting where we were headed.
    Just a little side story, my son was following me in his car and the grandson age 3 did not want stay buckled so i kept stopping, so did my son. About the third time my sun pulled in front of me and asked what was wrong with my car, I told him " the three year old in the back seat". it didn't take long between his dad and me to keep him in the seat. worked on the other GK's too. thanks for letting me share a memory, my son died almost 4 years ago....
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 8:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• my sister's kid did and does this all the time...the only thing that worked was stop driving and refuse to take him anywhere...unfortunately there's no carseat like that
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 7:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My first did that. At first I reversed all belts & buckles, but he soon figured that out. I then duct taped a ridged piece of cloth very tighly over the release buttons so he couldn't press the buttons. This worked wonders! Just make sure there's enough slack in it that the adult can still unfasten it.
    3earthangels

Answer by 3earthangels at 7:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• The first time my child did this exactly one time, I pulled over and gave a spanking he never forgot. When my next kid came along, he did it exactly one time and got the same. IMHO, something life threatening such as this needs to be stopped immediately. If you rarely or never spank, getting a spanking over this would be enough to make him never even think of touching the release again.
    Anonymous

• There are many life threatening situations that children put themselves in, i would prefer to take the time to teach them rather than give them the spanking they will not forget. With kids we could be spanking them all the time for the unsafe things they do. Just don't agree with the spanking option, others do I am sure. no problem if there are no marks. ....
    Anonymous

• I mean life threatening. Unsafe could be running in the house, throwing a baseball at Brother...Being projectiled through a car window at 50 mph...that's life threatening! Of course there's no marks. Because I spank so rarely, I don't have to spank hard. I totally respect it if you can get immediate results with no spanking. That's awesome!
    Anonymous

• spanking for her is not an option(i would), and it is to the point where shes not going anywhere. her boyfriend wont watch him when he gets off work so i guess shes stuck.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 9:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009