why is my baby not sitting up by herself at 6 months

development, sitting up, 6 months old

1HOTTmomma89

Asked by 1HOTTmomma89 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• none of my daughters sat at 6m but then they were all walking by 10 months so dont worry about it all babies are different
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Most babies aren't sitting up perfectly at six months. My dd is 7 months and just starting to really get the hang of it. She still falls back once in awhile. I would not worry about it until she is like 8 months and still not sitting up. She will get it in her own time, no worries!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Do you mean getting INTO the sitting position by them self or sitting unsupported when put into sitting position?

My dd could sit unsupported fairly early, in my mind, but she couldn't sit herself up until around 8 or 9 months :)

I wouldn't really stress about it.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• babies do everything in their own time. 6 months is a tad early to worry about her not sitting on her own. I would worry around 8 months. Also watch fro regressing. If she has STOPPED doing certain things she used to do (maybe babbling or scooting or holding toys) its because she is WORKING on a new skill, sitting perhaps?
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Six mos is a little early, they should be able to sit up with some help but not all babies sit up completley unassisted at 6 mos. As soon as you think they aren't gonna do it they do! Just watch!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Because all babies hit the milestones at different times. It doesn't mean she's delayed. My daughter's 6 months and if I put her in the perfect sitting position and she has a toy in her hand, she'll sometimes do it for 10 seconds, but I have to watch her like crazy! Try not to obsess over those guidelines for milestones.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• my mom use to say for my son that he was lazy but in 1 month he learn to stand up on his feet but he is 8 month now and he can't sit by him self jet i have read some were that some kids use to skip some stages and go directly to the point get up to walk so dont worry and dont get tired of puting her to sit she will learn
    shqip

Answer by shqip at 8:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My 7 month old still isn't sitting up all the way on his own. He CAN he just doesn't for very long and when he does he usually leans forward. On the other hand he can roll both ways, crawl, roll himself up into a sitting postion and he's now trying to pull himself up to stand. I was told that they should be able to sit by 8 months and so I'm not going to worry until then, even though it's only in 2 weeks!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I wouldnt worry about it. my dd started to stand before she learned to sit completly.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• some babies just dont. If her Doc isnt noticing that any thing Major is delayed, u probably dnt hav 2 worry... I knw we all get xcite dwhn our lil1s' do new things, but whts the rush...she'll b ok
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 10:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2009