What does it feel like when your milk "lets down"?

I tried to nurse all three of my children and was only partially successful. I'm due to have twins in June and I'm going to give it yet ANOTHER go at nursing. People would ask me when I was trying to nurse the others "can you feel your milk 'let down'". No, I have no clue. So, for those of you that can feel it and know when you are "leaking" or its time to feed the baby, what does it feel like? Maybe I HAVE actually felt it but just didn't realize it.

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 7:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they say it's supposed to tingle but when my milk lets down it feels like they get fuller and hurts a bit actually.
    MrsDeputy

Answer by MrsDeputy at 7:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Oh and I can feel it on both sides not just the one I'm nursing on!
    MrsDeputy

• it was really painful for me every single time. sharp pains and needling in my boobs. not pleasant at all but i nursed for a year anyway because aside from the let down, it was a beautiful thing!
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 7:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• No, darlin' - if you have to ask, you haven't felt it. It feels like a burn/tingle, and a release. You can actually feel the fluid engorge the breast tissue. It can be almost painful.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 7:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Ya know the feeling you get when your foot REALLY falls asleep. The burning tingling feeling. Its like that but only wetter.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 7:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• you dont always feel your milk letting down, i've been BF for over a year now and have only felt my milk let down a handful of times, but when i did feel it it felt mostly like a bunch of pressure in my nipples, somtimes with some tingling and only once was it actually painful. You're breasts wont tell you when to feed, your baby will,, offer the brest nonstop if you can for the first couple of weeks, after that you should be able to pick up on your babies cues for when they wanna eat. Good luck BF :)
    Gaberielle

Answer by Gaberielle at 7:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Sometimes I could, sometimes I couldn't. When I did, it was sorta a tingly feeling.

Actually, more often than not I couldn't. I can't tell you how many times I looked down to find out I was leaking...usually in public. Embarrassing.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• First of all only some women can feel it, others don't. I feel my milk let down while I'm nursing... It's not a sign that you need to nurse. Usually it's triggered by the baby sucking and comes anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes after she starts. In fact, if you feel it let down when you're not in the act of nursing it means it's been too long! That usually only happens in the really early days while your supply is still adjusting to the baby's demand or the baby may take a crazy long nap and miss a feeding entirely. It feels to me like a burning or sharp tingling sensations. The cues you need to worry about come from the baby... when they are signaling they need to nurse, it's time to nurse. Feeling letdown only seems important to me when the baby's having trouble latching on or staying latched on long enough to get your milk to let down in the first place.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Just so everybody knows, I'm not worried about feeding cues. I'm just wondering what it feels like. I've had supply issues (possibly due to latching issues) in the past and people ALWAYS say "well, can't you feel your milk let down". Well, no, I can't and never have. So I wondered what it felt like.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 8:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Not everyone feels a let down. I never did with my first and with my second, I barely feel one.
    For the most part it's a little tingly and I get really warm. It's normal for women to not feel one, though and it doesn't mean you aren't producing (enough)milk.

Good luck with your twins! You should look into your local La Leche League.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2009