i have a 4 year old daughter and shes very hyper n out of control what can i do to calm her down?

is she like that cuz of her age or whats wrong with her even at school she dont stay still she be jumping around dont listen what can i do please help me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• OMG seriously don't get this ADHD stuff started. Your child is NORMAL. OKAY.. NORMAL. You have to discipline her and make her understand she can't act like a wild animal. You are responsible for that. Other than that, cut out all sugar from her diet.
    Anonymous

• Check that she is not eating sugar - juice, candy, cookies. Sugar is notorious for making kids hyper. Also, don't have her spending time looking at TV or computer-screen entertainments - sitting with you on the couch to read picture books together, drawing with crayons or painting, you singing children's songs, ... these are all great ways to enjoy life with a young child at home. AND she is now old enough to really love building "forts" - draping big sheets over the back of furniture to make a tent, and bringing lots of stuff into the tent she has made so she can play whatever her imagination comes up with - like running a store, or playing house, or camping, or driving a car ... children have endless ideas for what they can imagine for playacting.

Of course, the less TV / computer she sees, the stronger her imagination will stay.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• She's an active kid. She needs lots of physical play time - bike riding, jumping rope, have her exercise dance to a fun tape with you. I used to have my kids bike and play basketball before school to be more quiet in school. Put her in a ymca gym class or gymnastics class. Plus though she needs structure to not run wild. I didn't have enough structure for a while with my daughter. Bed time is bed time after an active day of physcial and/or quieter play. Have her read only in bed or listen to quiet music only in bed OR she goes to bed w/o either. Then she's making the choice, let her set the timer for 1/2 an hour of that. It lets her learn she can control some things.
    Anonymous

• huge lego blocks to build tall structures and bridges, robots and stuff are fantastic and time consuming and let her imagination get used to. Try that also!
    Anonymous

• Some children are very sensitive to sugar. I know it's hard because there's so much "hidden" sugar in foods and snacks. And I don't like giving my grandchildren anything "sugar free" because most of it contains aspertame, an artificial sweetner that isn't good for anyone. Pretzles are always a good thing to give. Also, she sounds like she is a real type A kid, with lots of energy. Physical activity is important , especially for kids like yours! Time running around at the park, maybe enrolling her in a motion class or dance class, karate, etc., would really help. Karate especially because they integrate cooperatiion and discipline into it. Buy a wind up timer and set it for a set amount of minutes. When the bell rings you can tell her "Jumpy time is over, now it's time for a book, (or drawing, or just quiet time with a puzzle", etc.) I tried this with my grandson and it works. He loves the timer and the structure as well.
    grandmalinda707

Answer by grandmalinda707 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009