6 months still sleeps in our room but it's not what you think.

So my six month old had a very rough start in life. For the first 5 months of his life he cried non stop had multiple surgeries and hospitalizations thus he slept in our room. I am pretty sure he is ready to go to his own room now but I am struggling with the change. A couple years ago I was in an incredibly abusive relationship that ended in a 13 month restraining order that he continued to break. The restraining order has expired now but I am just terrified if I put him in the room with two windows (all of our other rooms only have one) that someone might try to hurt him or take him or something. Has anyone else been in this kind of situation and if so how do you get past that fear, I don't want my child to be smothered because of my own horrific experiences

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have those crazy thoughts too, but have never been in your situtation I think I am just over protective of my lil one, does your ex know where you live at and if he does why not move? That should help put your mind at ease and if you're not able to then maybe choose a different room for your little guy to go in, honestly IMO I see nothing wrong with having your baby sleep in the same room as you, shoot my seven month old sleeps in bed with me and his dad, and I could care less what anyone says about it.
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• thanks hautemama83 that really helps
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I know the fear! I have been in an abusive relationship and he somehow manages to 'show up' certain places. Used to drive around up and down the street just watching the house. I also was young and dumb and dated this guy who is now in jail (set to be released this year) and he's locked up for accomplise (however you spell it) to murder. Yea no joke.

What we did:: Put hurricane shutters up on every window of our kids room. It helps ease my mind but we still keep the monitor on and check on the baby at least 3 to 4 times a night.
    Anonymous

• Baby can stay in your room as long as you like- mine stayed in with me until they were a year old- They had their own crib. I would be nervous too. I would likely try to move....
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 8:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Our son sleeps with us and he's almost 7 months. I don't care what anyone says either. Studies show it actually can help prevent sids by them being next to parents because they hear us breathing and it regulates their breathing. Plus. I breastfeed and it's easier on all of us and we all get better sleep if I feed him in bed with us.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry you have had to go through so much. Have you tried a video monitor? That might help ease your concerns. My 6 month old also had a very rough start with open heart surgery and was very fussy. We kept her in our room for the first couple of months but she started moving herself sideways in the bassinet so we moved her to the crib. She starts out there and then usually ends up in our bed around 5 or so, but it really helps my piece of mind being able to see her at all times with the video monitor.
    mmunoz

Answer by mmunoz at 9:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My daughter will be 2 next month and she shares a room with me and my hubby. we pretty much live in a studio apartment (we rent a 3
    Bdrm house with my mil and nil and cannot afford to move right now.) So until we can afford a bigger place foe just the 3 of us, that's just how it is going to be, like it or not! : /
    NightMarezMommy

Answer by NightMarezMommy at 11:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• They have really cheap window alarms that are magnetic. They attach to either side of window and when separated they scream like crazy, we have them and they are great. It makes me feel better when i put them to bed. try these and keep a baby monitor on to help. Even a video monitor would work. i would suggest those things. I am so sorry that happened to you! Ultimately it comes down to what makes you feel safe and secure.

brees3

Answer by brees3 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 17, 2009