• In the Spotlight:

As an atheist would it upset you.........

As an atheist or non Christian.Would it upset you if your child chose to believe in God?What if that child gets angry at you for keeping God's love from him/her,and they feel like you have lied to them their whole lives?(Could happen.) I have felt that way with my atheist parents. This is why I ask. What would you do?*Not intended for bashing or negativity*No offense in anyway.I do not presume to know what will happen. I am using my personal experience as a child to know what you would do.

Alize26

Asked by Alize26 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree but I think people judge on a whole. I just wanted to point out that it can and does happen the other way around.No one is exempt from making the same mistakes regardless of religion or beliefs.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• If she chose to believe in God it's her choice. I'm giving her the freedom to explore many different religions and I hope one day she can find stability in what I choose not to believe or care for. I'm not going to keep her from religion, I will raise her as best I can without a certian kind and go from there. If she asks, we will discover it together and learn and grow as a family.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Not at all. My sister believes in God and she is one of my best friends. Why should it be any different with my children
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• That is a nice answer. It was very lonely growing up as an atheist.To me.Believing in God would of helped me out in a lot of difficult times.Had it not been for the negative remarks and comments from parents who didn't agree with that religion.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• As an Agnostic, it would only hurt me if my child found a religion (any of them) that wasn't tolerant of others. As in "that way" is the ONLY way. And I had to start hearing about how we would be going to hell, etc. If he chooses to practice one religion, then I just hope he will be the best example of that religion he can be and keeps an open mind and heart.

And considering that I do believe in God (just maybe not the Judao-Christian sense) i feel that I do not keep God's love from him, and that I; in fact; open up his idea of his Creator and give him an even bigger love (since he isn't restricted to just one concept of god).
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Our gs is allowed to pick his own religious path (if any) when the time comes... I am not a Christian, my dh is so our gs gets a several veiws on different beliefs including of those who don't believe at all... it is going to be his choice and no matter the choice we will love, support and respect him for his decision...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My girls are 9 and 7, we've explained to them that different people believe different things. Our older daughter has told us she does not believe in god, it doesn't make sense to her. Our younger daughter told us she wants to believe in god. I told her she could if she wanted to and I'd help her learn about whatever she wanted to know. If she grows up and is angry with me, all I can tell her is that I did the best I could and taught her what I believed was the truth. My parents are catholic and raised me in the church. I think their  beliefs are a little wacky and some of them scared me silly when I was a kid, but I'm not angry with them for teaching me what they believed. If you're angry with your parents, maybe there's more to it than just the religion thing.

trickortreat

Answer by trickortreat at 8:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I don't keep anything from my children. They ask questions and I give them the best answers I can, and that includes questions about god, (which so far they haven't asked any). When my children do start asking, I will give them complete information, including the beliefs and practices from all the world religions. We will probably take field trips to different churches, mosques, temples, alters, etc.. Then when they are older, they are free to decide for themselves, what if anything they wish to believe. If they choose christianity, than so be it. I highly doubt that they will be angry with me, for giving them the opportunity to decide on their own, instead of indoctrinating them into whatever belief I hold. If they do, I will love them anyways, and apologize, and hopefully we can agree to disagree.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Well I am nonChristian but I DO believe in God. I would not get upset at any religion my child chooses. As long as my daughter follows her heart, I will trust her ideas and beliefs are right for her.

I just have to say Alize, I know you are coming from how you were raised but I am and know plenty of adults that wished their parents would have done things differently and NOT raised them Christian. I have felt like I was denied reality due to being raised Christian. I have felt like it put such a negative twist on the real God and that is not a great scenario either. That is one of the reason I plan to raise my daughter open minded and balanced.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 8:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• No. It is because to me I felt like they lied.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009