Vegetables?

My daughter is 16 months old. She refuses to eat vegetables! I know this is common, but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions that may have worked for them.

Thanks!

jklaus

Asked by jklaus at 8:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try putting some melted cheese on them or hide them in things. Puree or finely chop and add to meatloaf and such.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My brother used to eat his veggies on rolls. He is a bread addict and so my parents bribed him with "you can eat all the rolls you want as long as you eat your veggies in them" so he did... Until he was like 10 but he still ate them (this started at 2)
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 8:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• nothing worked for my 2 that did not like veggies. they hated melted cheese, any cheese, dishes that could have pureed vegies added. they were both very sensitive to texture and smell.
    What they did best with- still do- are raw veggies. carrot sticks was what they started with.

you have to just try everything and find what works.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My daughter had been eating some steamed veggies and then all the sudden she wouldn't. We started giving her the Gerber purees again at around that age and now she'll down those, even at 21 months. Looks gross to me but whatever floats her boat. (sometimes we have to bribe her with the food on the plate she does want to eat. Ok, more bread coming up, but you need to have 2 bites of veggies first).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Hmm have you tried 'hiding' them under cheese sauce, or serving them with a dip? My boys LOVE to eat raw veggies (carrots, cuke, broccoli) with dip. I think Jerry Seinfeld's wife wrote a cookbook with hints on how to mix veggies into foods. Puree up cooked vegetables and add them to foods- like: cooked carrot puree in spaghetti sauce, grate potatoes or carrots and put in hamburgers/meatloaf....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• What got my son interested in eating his vegetables was being able to help pick them out in the store and decide which veggies to eat with his meals at home. It also helped that when we had other kids over, they would eat veggies, so he would try them too. Now it's the opposite - when we're at a friends house and the parents serve vegetables, my son is the "role model" to help get their kids to at least try the veggies. So if you can, get some other kids over to show her that kids eat veggies too. And always serve them, if she's not ready to eat them now, at least let her know they're always an option and she can explore them when she's ready.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009