• In the Spotlight:

consumer credit counseling?

Me and my so are in some serious debt,I was robbing peter to pay paul but I ended up making a bigger mess. I don't want to file bankruptcy and am wondering if CCC will help you with really high debt. Also,do you have to have them contact all of your creditors because there are a few I am current on and would rather just keep paying on these myself. I figure I have a better chance of keeping my house and car if they see I am making an effort.

mom2jandh

Asked by mom2jandh at 8:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• Thats a great idea for you, if you don't want banktupcy. My exhusband and I completed this program at one time as well. You do have to surrender all your creditor information because they pull a credit report, so they know. They also want your credit cards and the company I used cut them up then and there. I can say it's definately a terrific program and when your program is complete, you will have an excellent credit report! Make sure you stick with it though.. because if you drop out, it will show on your report.
    Anonymous

• They can't do anything that you can't do. So if you feel confident, do it yourself! Also talking to consumer counseling might lower your payments (or the amount you owe-- and you could lower this just by calling creditors anyway...) this also shows up negatively on your credit report.

I would totally 100% recommend getting on bored with the Dave Ramsey plan. There is a group on CM that can give you tons of good advice and lots of motivation! You've already completed the hardest step by admitting you have a problem! It will take work to fix it, but you've already completed the hardest part! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:39 AM on Mar. 17, 2009