Helping my 2 week old gain weight on breastmilk only

My daughter was born 2/27 weighing 6.8. She dropped to 5.14 and as of today weighs 6.7. The doctor says she should be gaining an ounce a day which she isn't. She is soley breastfed and seeing how she is almost at her birth weight and wetting plenty of diapers, I don't see how her weight should really be an issue. He is wanting to supplement with formula if she doesn't gain between 5-7oz by next monday. Formula is something I do not want to do. What are things I can do to help my daughter with weight gain? Should I follow a strict diet? Also I read that nursing on only one side per feeding would ensure that she would get the hind milk. Do I pump the other side or will I be okay until the next feeding? I really don't want to do anything wrong that would make me have to go to formula. Thanks.

kstap_4

Asked by kstap_4 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it's possible, I'd see if you could get a 2nd opinion on that. Sadly, there are still doc's out there that do not support breastfeeding. I think all babies are different. My son got very tubby with only breastfeeding. My daughter is tiny. She was heavier than my son at birth, but didn't gain weight as fast as he did. She's still only in the 5% for weight at 2 years old. I know the hind milk is fattier, maybe you could see if you could nurse longer on one side like you suggested. I'm not really sure what else to tell you...but my first instinct would be to see a different doc. Good luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• yes i would say try to find a new doctor.my pedi never wanted to supplement and my daughter was the same way. she was 9 pounds at birth and then waivered with her weight at first.,it sounds like your babay is doing fine..shes only 2 weeks old! im sure its fine.just try to find another doctor
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 9:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• i agree with getting a second opinion. my ped. said the same thing to me and recomended formula. i was a (young) first time mom, and my dr. had me convinced she was too underweight, so i caved and supplemented. turns out, even with formula, she didnt gain any extra weight, and to this day she is still very petit, and that same ped. says shes as healthy as can be. (shes 18 months and around 22 lbs.) as long as shes wetting diapers and eating every 2-3 hours, she should be fine.

as far as diet, as long as your eating healthy you should be fine. maybe consider continuing your prenatals if your not already. also, make sure your drinking plenty of water, as your body is working to produce milk. i know there are teas out there that are supposed to help, although ive never used them, so i dont know for sure. i pumped for awhile, but found it increased my milk too much, so i stopped.

hope this helps, and good luck! =)
    crzyblnde17

Answer by crzyblnde17 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• GET ANOTHER DOCTOR
    Anonymous

• Yes get a 2nd opinion. That is crazy. Babies normally loose weight the first few days but I have only ever heard that they want the baby to be close to birth weight by the 2 weeks check up. She is fine, dont let them talk you into doing anyting you dont want to. Of corse make sure that she is eating every few hours and has alot of wet diapers, but it sounds laike you are doing that already. Go find a breastfeeding friendly Dr. You are doing a good job. Also I know bf gains weight slower than formula fed, most Dr's even use a different growth chart for formula fed babies, I know mine does. I think the once a day is for formula fed babies, and even that is after 2 weeks old that is supposed to start.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• If it were me, as long as she's having the appropriate amount of diapers, and not losing weight, I'd smile and nod at that doctor, and keep up my good work.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I'm with the other ladies. The medical field is generally opposed to breast feeding and if your little one is eating well and dirtying plenty of diapers then there isn't a problem. Don't let them frighten you for no reason, definitely see another doctor, maybe a Christian doctor who leans more towards the natural way of doing things. All children are not the same they don't all gain the same amount of weight, some are naturally tiny and some get quite chunky very easily. This is a time to enjoy so relax and cherish every moment:-)
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 10:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• When weight gain is low you want to offer both breasts. Yes, you want baby to get the hindmilk, but this is not a source of "extra" calories. Baby will gain by getting more milk, not hindmilk. To get the hindmilk you want to make sure you allow baby to finish the first breast before offering the second breast. Don't restrict to one breast per feeding if her weight gain is low, just let her nurse as long as she likes on the first, then offer the second. Check out Dr. Newman's protocol to increase milk intake. Follow that guide and you will not need to supplement w/formula! http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Protocol%20to%20Increase%20Breastmilk%20Intake.asp

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• While she lost more than the normal 6 to 9 % of her body weight, she has also gained almost all of it back - which is normal. By about 2 weeks, babies have regained most or all of the weight they have lost. It's from here on that they start gaining.
    I wouldn't be worried at all. Keep going and see how she does.
    And consider finding a different doctor.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-tell-whether-your-babys-getting-enough-breast-milk_617.bc
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Find a second doctor. One that cares more for breastfeeding and less about the 'new' tread of formula feeding. After all, isn't mothers milk the perfect food?
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 11:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2009