how can I make my son get braces?

Ferncheryl

Asked by Ferncheryl at 9:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You dont give him a choice. He is a kid.

How old is he?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Tell him he'll regret it! I had braces and when I look at my childhood pictures I'm so glad I did!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• If his teeth are truly horrifically crooked like say prirates of the old days, then set up and drive him to an orthodontist who's known for compassion and patience and leave the two of them alone with make over books near the chair. Even let him talk with the ortho in his office itself not in an exam chair. Make sure this is because it's for his own mental and dental health not for an ego alone of any one's. Maybe he just doesn't believe invisilign braces work? They're certainly better than the old metal braces from years ago.
    Anonymous

• Yeah,you can make him,but if he does'nt take care of them,you are wasting your money.So beprepared to stand over him,and make him keep them clean,and keep the bands on.They are around 4500.00.
    Anonymous

• Well I guess thats his problem if he doesn't want them you shouldn't force him. When he changes his mind he'll let you know :) He might just need time to think about it. OR maybe he's happy with the way he looks?
    mama.love.

Answer by mama.love. at 9:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I agree, you tell him he has to. You are the adult, he shouldnt have a choice about things to help his health, physical or oral health.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I hated my teeth as a kid, I finally got braces when i was in Jr. High and now I'm 22 and SO happy i don't have to deal with crooked teeth. Tell him girls will think he looks handsome when they get taken off. And they aren't as bad as he thinks they're going to be. Get him the clear ones if he wants. Have him to talk to the orthodontist about how they aren't going to be some terrible thing.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 9:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• He's 14. He is NOT OLD enough to decide about his own dental health.
    He is a kid. He should be taught that he is lucky enough that his parents can afford them and offer them to him.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• why are you giving him a choice? my 5 yr. old step son didn;t want to get his shots for kindergarten but we made him have them because he needed them - and no i dont want to argue about vaccinations.

just make him get them. and if you are worried he won;t take care of them, once he has them remind him that if he doesnt brush his teeth properly then he will have little white marks on all his teeth from where the braces were when they take them off.

make him. he will thank you later.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Also anon 9:21, if he doesnt take care of them, the braces will still straighten his teeth. the only problem will be that he will have white spots on his teeth from where the braces were. i have had braces. there is no maintence other than brushing which he should be doing anyway!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2009