How can I force my Teen to get his braces on?

We went to the Orthodontist today and he told my 14 year old son that he needs braces. My son threw a fit in the car, saying that there is NO way he is getting them. His teeth aren't Horribly bad, but one side of his bite is off.
So now what do I do? Helpppp Please
Fern fcwww@aol.com

Ferncheryl

Asked by Ferncheryl at 9:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Pay him?
    Anonymous

• once again, MAKE HIM GET THEM. He has no options here. If its just a slight problem he won't have to wear them for very long.

you are the parent. you are the one to make these decisions.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• well mabye try compermise
    Anonymous

• If it's a very slight problem look into invisaline. It's like a clear 24 hour mouthgaurd, you can hardly notice it.

And anon 9:30 what kind of insane solution in this instance you give.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 9:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• why are you asking this twice?
    Anonymous

• Talk to him about WHY it is important, and ask him why he is so against them and LISTEN to his answer. Tell him how expensive they are and that he will wish he did it later in life and you will not be paying for them then.

You cannot MAKE him if he is really against getting them he can just refuse to open his mouth in the orthodontists office.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• guess he will have crooked teeth then. sure save you some money though
    Anonymous

• Make him. I had braces I didnt want them but I did not have a say in them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Tell him you're parent, he's the child, you know what's best for him and he's getting them. Period.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• Well, personally, if his teeth are not all that crooked, I might get a second opinion. Do everything you can to help find another solution, but in return, he needs to act his age and stop throwing a fit like a baby. Its possible that the invisalign might work. I am not sure if insurance covers that though. Braces are very expensive. We just finished $6000 worth of work on my daughters teeth and that was just the second phase. I don't know if I would want to spend that for just a crooked bite or for a child who would not take care of them. They have to be very careful about what they eat within reason, and clean them out periodically. If hes going to sabatoge this, then I wouldn't waste my money. Let him go with crooked teeth, but he needs to know that if you don't make him, its because you don't want it to hurt you financially and not because youre being easy on him and letting him get away with throwing a fit.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2009